(206) 949-5683, Top Rated Plumber, Seattle
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: No water pressure on hot side in shower

Default No water pressure on hot side in shower

I have the handle that goes around in a full circle from cold to hot in my guest shower. When I turn it to cold I get normal cold water, but when I turn it all the way to hot it basically shuts off and nothing comes out.

I have a washer/dryer 2 stories below this room and it seems that in the guest bath under this room it sounds like water is constantly running in the pipes. I can't find any shutoff valves etc. so I don't know what to look for. All the other hot water is working in the kitchen, guest bath, and master bath.

Thanks for your help!!!!!!

Retired Defense Industry Engineer jadnashua's Avatar

It helps to know the brand and model.

If it is a pressure balanced valve (required on all newer construction), then the spool may be stuck. Can't say if it can be cleaned up and would then work or if it needs to be replaced. There may be other things going on here.

Explain more about when and where you hear water running.
    Jim DeBruycker
    Important note - I'm not a pro
    Retired Defense Industry Engineer; Schluter 2.5-day Workshop Completed 2013, 2014

with all your fixtures off, check the water meter to see if it's moving. if so, there is a leak somewhere. you can also turn off the valve at the water heater and see if the sound stops. this probably won't solve the "no hot water issue" but will get us going.
    Brent

Thanks I'll try that. I don't think there is a leak though because my water bill is like $40 something a month and I take 2 showers a day so its not outrageous.

The shower handle on off looks like this:
    I can't put a link so try this:
    Moen Legend One Handle Chrome Shower Only Faucet

Model L3175
    at home depot website

What should I do?
    Last edited by PlumbingNewb; 09-06-2007 at 09:53 PM.

If I remove the handle is there anything you suspect I can turn to open it up behind the wall like a valve or something?

shamless bump... just need to know if I unscrew this thing if anything bad can happen and if I can actually get the valve open for hot water somehow even though I can't see one until maybe I open the thing up.

Shut off the water and take the valve apart...
    see if you can get the spool inside loosened up - use some plumber's grease on it...
    If the innards seem worn, take them to a good plumbing supply shop and get some replacements... Buy genuine Moen parts... no knockoffs

ok I got the faucet off ok and behind the part you turn there are two little knobs you can turn with a flathead screwdriver. Should I mess with those? Maybe they are closed? There seemed to be a lot of drywall over one of these. I'm assuming they are hot and cold valves or something. What do I do??!!?!

They are built in shut off's for the shower valve. I'm thinking that whom ever installed the shower valve did not set the high limit for the valve. If the high limit is set to high on delta valves when you turn it all the way on the pressure will drop almost like if you went to far and your starting to close it again.

I would adjust that and i think this will solve your problem.
    I'm just starting to work with an old friend of mine to bring solar electric and hot water systems, wind turbines, Flex Fuel Boilers, batteries, hydroponic gardening, books, pellet grills and more. Also the parts for DIY installation.

Quote Originally Posted by patrick88
    They are built in shut off's for the shower valve. I'm thinking that whom ever installed the shower valve did not set the high limit for the valve. If the high limit is set to high on delta valves when you turn it all the way on the pressure will drop almost like if you went to far and your starting to close it again.

I would adjust that and i think this will solve your problem.
    Thanks, I turned the right one and it turned the cold water off. When I turn the shower handle to hot, nothing comes out even when I turn the one on the left which I assume is for the hot water. The sink and everywhere else gets hot water. Should I open up the valve on the left that must control the hot water and try to clean it? There is hardly any room to do anything in there without breaking the tile.

That water running like I said above is only once in a while, may be my neighbors or something also, not sure. Its a townhouse.

Here is a pic of what I'm talking about, see attached
    Attached Images Attached Images  

It is a pressure balance valve. You should have no water coming out if you turn the water off on either side it is a safety feature.

just make sure the hot is open all the way or if you are thinking of opening the wall make sure the water is off all the way hot and cold
    I'm just starting to work with an old friend of mine to bring solar electric and hot water systems, wind turbines, Flex Fuel Boilers, batteries, hydroponic gardening, books, pellet grills and more. Also the parts for DIY installation.

Quote Originally Posted by patrick88
    It is a pressure balance valve. You should have no water coming out if you turn the water off on either side it is a safety feature.

just make sure the hot is open all the way or if you are thinking of opening the wall make sure the water is off all the way hot and cold
    I put it in the open position and every other position while the water was turned on and nothing comes out... What is the next step to try? Thanks

Do not open the valve unless you know the house main is off. On the new style single handle shower valves if you turn off one side and not the other the water will not come out no mater how much you turn the shower valve. It can fool you and is very dangerous. So to play it safe turn off the house main

All shut off valve are righty tighty lefty loosy.

Thanks, I'll make sure to turn it off. When you say open the valve what am I doing and trying to accomplish? The middle piece?