Mold

Users who are viewing this thread

Mike50

DIY Senior Member
Reaction score
Kiril said:
I'm in the process of rebuilding my gutted house due to a toxic black mold infestation. Here are some things I have picked up not only from my education, but from extensive research on the subject and recommendations from several industrial hygienists.

Bleach is not the recommended method of getting rid of mold. If you do use bleach, it should be wiped not sprayed.

Encapsulation is only recommended for temporary containment.

Anything infested with mold other than framing members should be discarded.

If you have mold on the framing members, or mold was in contact with them. sand with HEPA vac. With regard to those shop vacs, if your not filtering the exhaust as well, your not doing yourself any favors. You also need to pay attention to the particle size it will filter.

Containment is critical to keep the spores from spreading throughout the house, or into areas that have already been remediated.

With regard to hype, I will agree in some cases maybe. However, when you see as many reports as I have of possible mold related sickness and have talked to many people who have gotten sick in moldy houses and apartments, it is not a leap to point at mold as being the cause. In most of the cases, when these people leave the infested area they get better.

My house is the perfect example. Prior to buying it, it was rented out. After discovering the mold, we talked to the last tenant who lived there. She said her son was sick all the time, and she had gotten sick several times. but they both got better when they moved. Funny thing is, the black mold spore counts were the highest in his room. Coincidence, maybe, but probably not.

Your never going to get rid of mold spores, but you can keep them at levels in your house that will not cause problems for most people.

Yours is another gross case and I wish you luck.
I'm sure you have explored the the potential liability and legal exposure issue regarding your realtor/escrow and seller so I won't even go there.

FWIW I Just watched a documentary which included a piece on hospital toxic waste
disposal. The reused storage containers are disinfected with bleach.

Personally speaking-my mold issue was put in check with the super heated desert air out here. (and a little bleach).

Mike

SteveW

DIY Senior Member
Reaction score
There is a new science called "metagenomics." It looks at all the various lifeforms which surround an organism or environment. Through this science, it is estimated that, if you took a healthy human being and sequenced all the DNA of, on, and in the body, turns out only 10% of the DNA would be from human cells.

We share this body of ours with many, many other critters - most of which have yet to be cultured in the lab.

Not sure if this relevant to the mold question, but interesting.

Kiril

Reaction score
The problem with bleach is, while it does kill it, it doesn't completely remove the hazard. Simply removing the source of moisture will essentially achieve the same result.

The spores are only part of the problem. Toxins can be contained in hyphal fragments as well. This is why it is important to eliminate the conditions that supported the mold growth to begin with (moisture), and to remove the mold that is present to eliminate the chance of any further air borne contamination.

Also consider if all your doing is killing it without removal, your leaving a substrate for other molds or fungi to utilize as an energy source if conditions happen to become favorable for recolonization.

Mike50 said:
Yours is another gross case and I wish you luck.
I'm sure you have explored the the potential liability and legal exposure issue regarding your realtor/escrow and seller so I won't even go there

Oh yes, and we got a judgment in our favor, not that it really matters. We found the problem before we even moved in, and have yet to move in to this day. Nearly 4 years later, a dishonest remediation contractor, and a gross amount of money that we will never get back, we are finally getting the place rebuilt.

Mike50

DIY Senior Member
Reaction score
SteveW said:
There is a new science called "metagenomics." It looks at all the various lifeforms which surround an organism or environment. Through this science, it is estimated that, if you took a healthy human being and sequenced all the DNA of, on, and in the body, turns out only 10% of the DNA would be from human cells.

We share this body of ours with many, many other critters - most of which have yet to be cultured in the lab.

Not sure if this relevant to the mold question, but interesting.

Right. Not really relevant, however........if you are cultivating anything in your petri dish and it starts looking like my Ex-Wife.....I would strongly suggest you pour some bleach in there or you will be sorry....:D

Mike

Geniescience

Homeowner
Reaction score
Toxins in mold, are the big thing. Spores are secondary. Not the real problem. Spores are SEEDS, in the mold world. That is all they are. Spores are not the problem. People like to mention spores, but they are not the problem.
Kiril said:
The spores are only part of the problem. Toxins ....
Toxins that molds excrete are the problem. This excreted substance is excreted, i.e. excrement, i.e. defecated, i.e. fecal matter, i.e. scat in the mold world. Don't go breathing mold Sh*t, that is the big message to remember. It's not because of spores, or about spores. It's about mold dumping its fecal toxins into your air.

david

Kiril

Reaction score
geniescience said:
Toxins in mold, are the big thing. Spores are secondary. Not the real problem.

That is not necessarily true. Spores, mycelia, and MVOCs are all potential pathways for mycotoxin distribution.

Bill MD

Reaction score
Enzyme Mold Remediation

I,ve heard of enzyme treatments that will get rid of mold and don't require removing counters, drywall, etc.

One treatment is discribed at this site:

http://www.guardianpreservation.com/services/mold-remediation/mold-remediation.html

They say their product contains a bacteria that will eat the mold and then die leaving a citrus smell. Almost sounds too good to be true.

Anyone had experience with this?

Thanks

Geniescience

Homeowner
Reaction score
Funny fraud; these guys have found a way to say things in such a way that everything can have two meanings. If they ever end up having to explain or be interviewed, htey can have it both ways for a long long time.

Read this:
"....
Our treatment uses the TM-100 enzyme to seek out and destroy mold within 24 hours.

it is a form of bacteria itself

it is a naturally-occurring enzyme formulation.

the five enzymes used in the formulation

still a very new product and was developed by Bio-Science only five years ago

two years ago it was approved for commercial use, but Bio-Science has limited the use of the product to a select few companies with certified staffs.

TM-100 remains rather exclusive.

spores which can be inhaled the workers

moldy materials are usually unsalvageable and must be disposed of properly in plastic bags and replaced.

it is safe and effective – ensuring that all of the mold has been wiped out before the enzyme dies itself.

So, what have they told us?

-their enzyme(s) are bacteria (Wow! That will take some skating to explain.)
-all of the mold that their enzymes happen to come in contact with will be wiped out
-their enzymes "die" within 24 hours, in other words, their effectiveness is gone
-something was approved somewhere two years ago for some use called commercial BUT THEY DON'T HAVE THE GUTS TO SAY WHAT.

Meanwhile, they have a grammar mistake in their home page.

Did you know that citrus fruit has an acid in it? It make sthat distinctive citrus odor. Even vinegar is an acid, btw. I'll bet that their enzyme is a citrus compound re-built with an add-on that is unstable so it reverts back to being citrus right after.

-david

Last edited:

Christie Sternee

Reaction score
If mold is a problem in your home, you should clean up the mold promptly and fix the problem. If you are unsure about how to clean it consult a professional.

Dana

In the trades
Reaction score
If mold is a problem in your home, you should clean up the mold promptly and fix the problem. If you are unsure about how to clean it consult a professional.

You realize this thread has been dead for over a decade, right?:confused:

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks