(206) 949-5683, Top Rated Plumber, Seattle

Thread: Outdoor Shower

DIY Junior Member

Default Outdoor Shower

I am a custom homebuilder. We built a new home for a client. We are also building a Pool Cabanna, Summer Kitchen with Pool and Spa. The Pool Cabanna will have an outdoor shower with hot / cold water, mounted on a wall.

Can I use a standard shower valve with standard trim, or do I need to use an outdoor rated shower valve and trim?

I know there are simple pull chain and handle type for outdoor showers, but the ones I found are cold water only. The client wants a hot / cold control valve, with hot water avaliable.

We used Delta upscale valves and trim in the house. All elements in the house and exterior improvements are upscale.

Retired Defense Industry Engineer jadnashua's Avatar

Shower trim is designed to get wet, so I don't think that there would be a problem. If there is any possibility of freezing, you need to make provisions to easily drain the system, or bad things will happen. Since the line to the shower could be a long ways away, you might suggest a hot water recirculation system. Maybe one switched, rather than on all the time to save some energy. You might even be able to hook it up to a motion sensor so that when someone walked into/towards the shower, it turned on the pump.
    Jim DeBruycker
    Important note - I'm not a pro
    Retired Defense Industry Engineer; Schluter 2.5-day Workshop Completed 2013, 2014

DIY Junior Member

Thanks. I also did an online chat with Delta, who told me "No problem".

I bought a Delta Satin Nickle tub / shower and thought I would drop from the tub supply to a hose bib. The shower is at the summer kitchen location and having hot water at a bib would make it nice for clean-up after a Texas bar-b-que.

I could also use the hose bib to drain the valve if it gets cold, but our coldest month is February with a median temp of 61.

Distance is not a problem as we installed a water heater at the Summer Kitchen.
    Last edited by txlandlord; 09-05-2007 at 06:46 AM.