Breaking into main stack in basement

Users who are viewing this thread

Kskier

Home Handyman
Reaction score
I am doing a basement remodel, and the owners have decided they want to put a bathrrom in. They have 2, 4" stacks coming into floor, at opposite ends of basement, and I am assuming that they tie into each other before going to street. I have done just about every other type of plumbing, but never have gone below ground level to break into main stack. Can I break open floor, and then add a y for new toilet, and shower? This is an old house, with no clean out ports on either stack. I read somewhere, that below ground, the main stack has to be metal,,,,is this true? Venting is another issue. I have also looked at the toilet systems that pump into exsiting drain systems. Thanks for your help.

Markts30

Commercial Plumber
Reaction score
If you have been hired, then they expecting you to be the expert...
I am very confused as to why you would accept a job knowing you are not knowledgeable about, nor qualified to do the work...
Some contractors give the rest of us a bad name...
At least hire out the plumbing...

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
bath

I don't know where you are located, but in most areas doing a job like this without a plumbing license, especially if you have a different license can open you to all kinds of liability that you probably do not need. Get a plumber.

Statjunk

DIY Senior Member
Reaction score
I don't know how I feel about this. While I agree that this project is pretty advanced he has come here for help. Should we not help him?

If he were a home owner would your responses be different.

I want to offer an opinion but I'm not qualified. I have done that very scenario that he speaks of twice. However each job is different.

Tom

P.S. Chance are he'll do it anyway. He probably bid the job too tight to allow for the hiring of a plumber.

Geniescience

Homeowner
Reaction score
new costs. New work decided upon.

Serious work here, and if the home owners just now decided.... then these are new costs they will have to pay for now. Pricing can be worked out now. Be sure to include a symbolic financial contribution to the advisory team at Terry Love's site when you make your regular contribution to overhead.

See "Default Solving the puzzle: venting + re-plumbing", opened by tamosius, happening concurrently.

You use the same material as what is already in place. If cast iron, use cast iron. (BTW, keep the term "metal" for when you talk to the homeowners.)

Does this planned new bathroom have only a toilet and a hand rinse sink? Or a whole lot more? In the basement, is there already venting for some other plumbing? You need a vent.

David

Master Plumber Mark

Sensitivity trainer and plumber of mens souls
Reaction score
indianapolis indiana - land of the free, home of
Website
www.weilhammerplumbing.com
get a plumber to estimate

you might be wise to know your limitations here...

or you are going to look like you have egg or something

else on your face when or after you tear into that sewer...

just tearing up the floor and slapping in a bathroom is not
as simple as it sounds sometimes ....

Kskier

Home Handyman
Reaction score
disappointed

markts30 said:
If you have been hired, then they expecting you to be the expert...
I am very confused as to why you would accept a job knowing you are not knowledgeable about, nor qualified to do the work...
Some contractors give the rest of us a bad name...
At least hire out the plumbing...

Well,,I am a little disappointed in the reply's to my post. I SAID,,,,THAT I STARTED THE REMODEL, AND THE HOMEOWNERS ASKED ME ABOUT THIS BATHROOM IDEA! IF THEY WOULD HAVE SAID THIS UP FRONT,,,I WOULD HAVE NEVER TAKEN THE JOB,,,,SO AS FAR AS LEAVING IT TO THE PLUMBERS, I AGREE,,,,,,,,,,,AND THAT IT IS WHAT I TOLD THE HOMEOWNERS,,SO BITE ME MARKTS30!

Geniescience

Homeowner
Reaction score
seems we are all on the same page now.

Let's get started.

David
p.s. you know, the great thing about going to those big box stores, is that they make you feel confident.
p.p.s. you know, i think that is what we do here too.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks