Zones not working - Where are the valves?

Users who are viewing this thread

Graham123

Reaction score
I have a 19 year old house. Two of the lawn's four zones do not work althought the controller puts out the required voltage as expected.

I found the primary wiring joints unprotected and buried in damp clay soil, behind the garage where the controller is located :)eek: great job!).

Problem is how can i locate the valves to check them out? I suspect they too are buried without a box to protect them. Would a metal detector work?

Any ideas and help much appreciated.

the wet maker

Reaction score
Hi,

I would suggest trying to find your water main or your pump outlet and trace that. to the valve manifold (even if the install was shoddy, the water is all presumably coming from one source)

If there's no manifold and they tee the water source to various yard locations and put valves all over, you've got a bit more of a challenge to locate all the valves.

Bottom line, the electricity has to get to the valves for them to operate. If you can't find that, you can be sure that you will find the valves if you trace the water source all over. Might be some digging though.

Schulze

Reaction score
Yes, a metal detector will be very useful. You can also rent a valve locator at the local supply house.

Or, if you're good, Turn on the zone, then crawl around listening to the tell tale whine...but you'll get wet. ;)

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks