Painting Yellow board Sheetrock?

Users who are viewing this thread

Bjferri

DoD Army
Reaction score
I hung yellow board in my bathroom. Since it is moisure resistant, is there a special way of painting this?

Thanks...

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
Not at all familiar with "yellow board". Never heard of it. Wherever you bought it, they should be able to provide you with manufacturer's instructions, including paint prep/

Gary Swart

In the Trades
Reaction score
Yellow board is a new one to me, too, but if it is just another variation of green board, it really isn't that much better than regular gypsum drywall. I'd apply a good primer such as Kilz then paint it just like any other drywall.

Bjferri

DoD Army
Reaction score
Green board is obsolete - according to Lowes/Home Depot. Yellow board has replaced it. It does say it is paintable, but also mold and water resistant.

Frenchie

Jack of all trades
Reaction score
You mean paperless? If so, you'll need to skim-coat it before you do anything, otherwise the texture of the fiberglass fibers shows through. Use setting compound (powder, in a bag), not premix (in a bucket) - premix goes soft everytime it gets damp.

Last edited:

Chassis

Engineer
Reaction score
If it says it's paintable, then paint it. ;) I would use a tinted primer, then 2 coats of your finish color. I use Sherwin-Williams paint, because the shop is close to my house, they can do color matching and tinting, and there are usually no lines. Unlike HD/Lowe's.

Out of curiosity, what brand name/manufacturer is this yellow board?

Bjferri

DoD Army
Reaction score
It does have fierglass fibers in it - I noticed as I made cuts. I know I have some in my arms because when I rest my arms on a flat surface I feel the prickly thorns but they are so small I can't see them to pull them out...

I don't think it is paperless so the texture should be fine - but I'll do more googles to be on the safe side.

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
I have been hearing about papeless drywall. The idea being that mold forms and feeds on the paper, not the gypsum. I have not seen it yet, but was not under the impression that it was in any way moisture resistant, any more than greenboard ever was. Just helps avoid a mold disaster.

Sounds like there are some new materials on the market, and I need to go out and "get smart" about their usage.

Geniescience

Homeowner
Reaction score
rigid sponge.

"moisture resistant" means it hold up better than regular drywall under the effect of moisture. That is what greenboard is and was. Able to resist the effect of h20. Not fall to pieces.

Mold feeds on organic matter. If yellow board has no paper, that much is better than greenboard. BUT that still won't make it a good base product for a tiled tub-shower surround, because shower water has organic matter in it too. Resistant board will suck some of that water up and feed mold with it. Not ideal. Not pretty. Not good for your health in the long term.

david

Frenchie

Jack of all trades
Reaction score
Jim -

Some of the guys at JLC have been testing this stuff, sticking it in a bucket of water for a week & apparently it doesn't even go soft. Dry it out, you can't tell it was ever wet.

Another guy had a basement get flooded, during those big floods in Jersey this year, and it survived just fine.

On the other hand, it's a b*tch to work with, because of the fiberglass fibers; and having to skim it adds a fair bit of labor to the install.

Still not sure that's what BJ means by yellow board, though: he said it wasn't paperless...?? Hope he gets back to us.

Bjferri

DoD Army
Reaction score
Hey Frenchie,
I only know it by yellow board...same sizes as sheet rock. I do see the fibers you mentioned on the surface. I actually called lowes and they say it is paperless. Sorry for the confusion.

Geniescience

Homeowner
Reaction score
personally i am so glad there is now a paperless sheetrock, since I can smell paper rotting from afar. The paper rotting under paint and a skim coat of compound just makes most households smell like they doo. Exceot those built before WW2 and a few rococo mansions with CBU walls plastered over. (BTW, mold = rot.)

david

NurseDoe

Reaction score
I used the yellow board in most of the bathroom too. I know it is has fiberglass when I carried it with bare arms. Wish there had been a warning on it. Anyway, I couldn't pick the fibers off but they came off with a loufah type bath "puff". I was scratched for a few days, but learned to wear long sleeves when working with that stuff.

Bjferri

DoD Army
Reaction score
I think all the fibers are out of my arms...from scrubbiing. I agree - there should be a warning on this item.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks