Ejector basin question - water in new hole dug

Users who are viewing this thread

TurboMan

Reaction score
Doing a rough in for a basement bathroom. We finished cutting the floor, digging the trench and digging out the ground for the basin late at night. Dropped the basin in the hole and called it a night. Woke up this morning and see the basin bobbing in the water. It is risen up about 4 inches. Anybody have any expereince on how to secure the basin with water coming in. The water level has seemed to stabalize where it is at which is about 4 inches. What is weird is there was no sign of water for hours, and now there is.

I was thinking of sucking all the water out and then prepare the basin for installation. Once it is fully mounted, tapcon a metal bar over it to help hold it in place until the concrete dries. Does this sound like a sound idea?

Bob NH

In the Trades
Reaction score
I would be concerned when the water table rises in the wet season. You need to anchor it with hold-down force equal to 8.34 pounds per gallon of capacity. That will give you a margin of safety of a bit due to the weight of the basin and pump.

Concrete weighs about 150 # per cubic ft so you need a bit more than 2 cubic ft for a 40 gallon basin.

Leejosepho

DIY scratch-pad engineer
Reaction score
Website
www.nonameyet.org
TurboMan said:
I was thinking of sucking all the water out and then prepare the basin for installation. Once it is fully mounted, tapcon a metal bar over it to help hold it in place until the concrete dries ...

Like Bob said, keeping it held down *after* the concrete cures is a greater issue.

I would likely drill some holes just below the top flange of the basin and drive re-bar into the ground all around -- maybe 4, 6 or 8 pieces -- then fill the basin with water to hold it down while pouring the concrete around it. Later, some butyl sealer could be applied around the re-bar.

Attachments

• sumpanchor.jpg
    sumpanchor.jpg
    3.2 KB · Views: 244

TurboMan

Reaction score
leejosepho said:
I would likely drill some holes just below the top flange of the basin and drive re-bar into the ground all around -- maybe 4, 6 or 8 pieces -- then fill the basin with water to hold it down while pouring the concrete around it. Later, some butyl sealer could be applied around the re-bar.

That is kind of what I was thinking next. Only I was thinking of getting/making some long 90 deg angle brackets and fasten one end to the basin with multiple screws for strength and the other end gets shoved under the 4" existing concrete slab. Put 3 of them in there. But I think your idea sounds easier. Thanks!!

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks