Replacement window balancer?

Users who are viewing this thread

Chassis

Engineer
Reaction score
I have single pane double hung windows, they are original from when the house was built in 1950. The balancers are steel coil springs about 18-24 inches long, and are accessible without tearing the window jamb apart.

I have a few of these springs that are broken, would like to replace them. As far as I can tell, the windows are "Curtis" brand. Couldn't find anything by searching on the internet. Can anyone please recommend a source where I can order the replacement balancer springs? Thanks.

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
I have never seen a balance that was not replaceable. I can't picture yours from the description. But the fact that you know it is a steel coil means you have some idea what it is. Almost always the balance can be removed by screws, if it is a steel wire wrapped in a spring coil,....or the springs are accessible by removing an access panel. You might have to look closely as the screws may be heavily painted over.

Some pictures would help.

Toolaholic

General Contractor Carpenter
Reaction score
I have an acct. with C L R ,GO TO THERE ON LINE CATALOG

They will sell to you. They supply all the glass shops

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks