Which Shower Valve is best?

Users who are viewing this thread

jawx

Reaction score
I am replacing a 20-year old Carefree single-handle shower control--there are no replacement cartridges; Universal Rundle is not supporting them. I found that the Delta protrudes farther from the wall than the others, which is a problem for me, but it seems to be a solid control. I actually purchased several units at HD and Lowes to compare them. The American Standard (AS) :confused: seems to make the most secure device, but AS is divesting itself of the retail plumbing and I fear that the AS may go the way of Carefree! The Moen is very small and compact, and has the shortest protrusion from the wall. I haven't seen the Grohe or the Peerless. Are there any honest comparisons with pros and cons? It's tough to change it after it's installed!:confused:

Master Plumber Mark

Sensitivity trainer and plumber of mens souls
Reaction score
indianapolis indiana - land of the free, home of
Website
www.weilhammerplumbing.com
Delta Is Best

as far as dependability, quality and ease of design..

and being able to repair one 35 years from now.

get the DELTA and forget about all the rest...

Peerless is made by Delta.....its good too.

It secures down just fine, never had a problem with that issue
and you are not
supposed to be banging up against the faucet anyway....

Second best you can get is the Moen posi temp...not a bad faucet
but difficult to repair down the road....

American Standard never was a decent faucet, it was a crappy
design from day one......back in the late 80s..?

Kohler, Price Fister, are all
basically junk too...., I wont touch one...

they are not worth the time to hunt down parts for weeks on end.

delta_valve_replacement.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
I don't understand the comment about Amer. Std. I am not aware of them "divesting from retail plumbing"!!!!

Opinions vary. Almost everyone ( plumbers, that is) like Delta for ease of installation and repair.

Moen is good. So is Price Pfister. Most brands, including these, have "good/better/best" arrangements in terms of styling and quality of trim. The internals are all mostly the same high quality.

Repair people hate Kohler because they are hard to work on and hard to find parts for.

Stay away from exotic brands found at design centers, because they are imported, the actual maker is often unknown, and the availabilty of parts and tech supports is usually iffy. Also for a tub or shower, where total replacement is not desired for 20+ years, stay away from generic import brands like Glacier Bay, Pegasus, EZ Flow, ProValue, etc etc for the reasons mentioned above.

jawx

Reaction score
American Standard

Thanks for the opinions!

The reference to American Standard is about the agreement to sell its bath- and kitchen-products business to private-equity firm Bain Capital Partners LLC announced on 7/24/07. See WSJ article for details:

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB 118519920959374938.html

Usually, as in "Pretty Woman", the segments of private-equity purchased companies are sliced and diced.

I did like the AS volume control and option to keep the same temperature setting between uses. But if it is junk, then I'll return it.
Does anyone like AS?

Peanut9199

Customer Service Manager Plumbing Wholesale
Reaction score
"On February 1, 2007, American Standard Companies announced it would break up its three divisions. The company will sell off its kitchen and bath division and spin off WABCO, American Standard's vehicle controls division, while retaining The Trane Company. American Standard is expected to rebrand itself as The Trane Company. It is believed that American Standard wants to drop its kitchen and bath division due to under performance."

With toilets like the Champion it's no wonder

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Many of the manufacturers make a thermostaticly controlled valve...nobody has a lock on the concept although the quality of the implementations may vary.

Gfe76

Reaction score
master plumber mark, why are moen difficult to repair down the road? I thought the cartridge just slides out. Although I know sometimes they are difficult to remove.

Wet_Boots

Sprinkler Guy
Reaction score
Moen makes a 'pulling' tool for their cartridges, to help their removal. Of course, when an old brass handle thread breaks off flush in the stem, then you are more or less SOL

Access for All

Reaction score
And what about Moentrol vs. their Posi-Temp?

I work with individuals with disabilities and want to set up systems with separate temp controls so that they can set the temp once and not need to lean into the shower several times to get just the right temperature. I thought I found a reasonable cost answer with the Moentrol. However, at least one plumber has said that they didn't like Moen (maybe they'd only used the Posi-Temp?) and multiple plumbers use only Grohe, stating that they never need to go back for repairs. Now I'm looking at the Grohemix, but not all my clients can afford a full Grohe set up.

Hence my questions:
- What do you think about Moentrol?
- Can I mix and match components. i.e. the Grohemix, but other co's wall unions, hand held showers, etc. (as long as they're all of course 1/2")?
- If I use a volume control so that the individual CAN have both the shower spray AND the hand held spray at the same time, do they greatly lose pressure in each?
- Given that I want the temp control separate from the on/off/volume, a standard shower head, a wall union, a hand held shower, a diverter or sep vol control for the hh sh, a 71"+ sh hose, adjustable bracket and separate single hook for the hand held shower, do any of you have any specific recommendations? My client's can't deal with plumbing break-downs.

I'd like to get a couple "packages" together in a couple price ranges.
All guidance is greatly appreciated!

Access for All
Independence for all.

Last edited:

SWong

Reaction score
A year ago we finally completed renovating our basement bathroom and prior to this I searched, and searched the web for all the shower fixtures which had to meet certain of our requirements. Amongst these requirements was a need to have reliability, availability of replacement parts, single hole tub/shower control fixture (a request from our contractor who came highly recommended), but most importantly ease of repair a typical homeowners could perform himself. American Standard was ruled out due to quality and thinness of materials, Kohler was nixed also from too many bad prior experiences, and it boiled down to Moen and believe it or not Grohe. We chose the Grohflex thermostatic single hole system because of many recommendations but more importantly I liked both quality and design. Had it for a year and it's been a joy to use however the proof will be 20 years down the road when it starts dripping/leaking. I played it safe by purchasing a extra thermostatic cartridge which literally replaces everything with this one part. I almost went with Moen however wife and I splurged and dropped over a grand on the shower fixture and shower head alone. If you are on a budget go with Moen since it is highly recommended and easy to repair

Attachments

• DSC00178.JPG
    DSC00178.JPG
    28.9 KB · Views: 763
  • DSC00058.JPG
    DSC00058.JPG
    108.4 KB · Views: 655
  • DSC00180.JPG
    DSC00180.JPG
    36.7 KB · Views: 848

consumer home decor

Reaction score
I have recently changed out every single shower valve in my home (part of owning an older home i suppose) and most of these parts were nearly 30 years old and I wanted to get something that would last just as long and something that i wouldn't have to worry about. So i asked around with some local plumbers and they all suggested Delta! And they were right, every review that I've seen was that they are incredibly reliable, and one of the least expensive brands!
I hope this helps!

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks