Black Greasy Particles in Bathtub Water!

Users who are viewing this thread

tesone21

Reaction score
Hi, a few months ago the water to our upstairs bathtub stopped working so my husband replaced the cartridge for the valve. Just recently, black particles are in the water now, they are smudgy if I squish one and sometimes the water makes bursting noises followed by slightly greyish water. I really need this to stop and would like to know how and why it is doing this. Thank you in advance!

tesone21

Reaction score
The brand of faucet is Moen. It looks like it could be rubber, but how long will it take for it to run it's course and why did it happen in the first place? My husband just put more salt in the water softener and scheduled it to run tonight as usual. I feel horrible everytime I go to give my girls their baths and I have to run the water forever and clean out the spots before letting them in. Thanks again for any possible input! -Erin

tesone21

Reaction score
Oh, when my husband replaced the cartridge, he also installed the new faucet, but that was about 4-5 months ago and the black stuff just started a couple of days ago.

Toolaholic

General Contractor Carpenter
Reaction score
Bingo Here;s The Answer Guaranteed

But here's the deal. You have to agree to write back after the fix.
It was happening in the 1958 Eichler We bought. Drove My wife CRAZEY.
On Your water heater the older braided stainless feed hoses are rubber lined.
change them. cut open the old hot water one with a hack saw.It will be full of soft black goo[rubber] Took Me a while to find it. Never had a problem in the Master Bath down stream. You owe Me a root bear:D P S. I left the old hose at the supply house so others might learn

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks