One piece v two piece toilet

Users who are viewing this thread

FatDaddy

Reaction score
I am thinking TOTO. What is the difference and is one piece better than two for any reason? Thanks in advance.
PS-- Is there a link to measuring guides for a replacement?

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
1-piece, heavier during install (you can't place it less tank like a 2-piece), typically lower, costs more, easier to keep clean since fewer cracks and crevices, fewer places where it can leak (no bolt holes holding the tank in place). Doesn't necessarily work any better. Pick one with decent specs and that you like the looks of.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
We like that you don't have to assemble the one piece.
You pull it out of the box, and stick it on the wax.
Jamie is about 225 and I'm 195. Weight isn't an issue with us.
We can just throw them on our shoulder and walk up and down stairs with them. For others, it may take two people.

Less places to clean

Less that can go wrong.

They come with seats. At least the ones by TOTO.

But in the end, it may come down to style.

Furd

Engineer
Reaction score
When I picked up my Toto Carlyle's at the distributor I lifted them down from the loading dock and put one in the trunk of my Toyota and the other in the back seat all by myself. I had to remove the one in the back seat from the shipping box before it would fit inside.

When I got home I moved them into the garage and that evening I installed one of them. The other sat in my garage for a year until I moved it into my spare bedroom where it is still sitting awaiting me to get off my rear end and tile the floor in the back bathroom.

I am not a strong man by any means yet I had no problem in moving these toilets. Maybe the fact that the Carlyle uses the Toto Unifit adapter made it easier for me to set the one in place.

BTW, I picked the Toto based upon the recommendation of Mr. Love several years ago. I picked the one-piece Carlyle because I wanted to eliminate the difficult-to-clean area under the tank of a two piece and because I really preferred the skirted look over the exposed trapway of the lesser-priced toilets.

Last edited by a moderator:

FatDaddy

Reaction score
ONE FINAL QUESTION (right!)

Does TOTO make a one piece with an insulated tank or is it a moot point with one piece toilets? I sure would like to get rid of my dripping tank in summer and I assume that an insulated tank would help.
Thanks in advance.
Alan

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Don't know, but I don't think so. One saving feature, though, is that since the toilet does not use much water, and it doesn't dump all of the water that is in the tank, the incoming water will mix with what is likely warmer water, and may not be above the dew point. Also, since it doesn't use as much water per flush, depending on how long the supply pipe is, that water may be warmer than when it had to fill the tank with 2-4x as much water, it may not get the cold stuff to the toilet.

None of this will make a difference if you have a marathon parade to the toilet, though...you'll run enough water to get it cold.

Rugby

Reaction score
One Piece Toilet Floor Mount Back Outlet

Can anyone give me the manufacturer name and model number or style of a one-piece, floor mount, back outlet toilet? I have checked the sites of American Standard and Kohler -- a model of that sort is not offered. Thanks.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks