Remove frozen bathtub drain

Users who are viewing this thread

Geniescience

Homeowner
Reaction score
3/4" pipe

the pipe is OK. the green stuff is corrosion, the equivalent to rust but for copper.

i'd replace the copper pipes with 3/4" just to have that extra volume. If I read you right, you are comfortable with soldering. One size larger pipe and you get more flow, and quieter flow noises. Filling a tub can take time, so a larger pipe is a good thing. If the pipe is larger only in one segment of the whole run, that is not a problem.

As for tankless, I have used a gas powered tankless and enjoyed it. Even the noise was pleasant. I was a guest, not an owner. I have always owned electric HW heaters. To me, the repair that will one day be necessary is the big concern. Everything needs service and repair, within a matter of years.

David

NurseDoe

Reaction score
Tankless

Regarding the tankless, the # 1 plumber today said that the gas pipe is 1/2 in and it needs 3/4 for tankless, which would involve running it from the meter. The meter is on the other side of the house about 75 feet away. He also said something about a newer pipe like plastic (I forget because I was trying not to stress about the 500 for the darn drain). He said it was cheaper than copper and would last 50 years and wouldn't freeze like copper. Never heard of copper pipe freezing here in the desert. I am suspicious of "new" things (except for those copper pipe fittings that you don't have to solder. They seem cool.

So it sounds like tankless is not going to happen on my side. My elder son just came in and said that he wonders why it is 3/4 on the orignal side of the house (1950's) and not the addition (1970's). He asked if crazy guy who did addition, just changed it somewhere along the line.

I just want to take a shower in my nice subway tiled tub/shower surround with a cute shampoo nitch and some designer accent tiles marked down from 16.00 each to 5.00 each.

I go back to work tomorrow so no progress until next week. ( I work 12 1/2 hour shifts with a 90 minute commute each way).

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks