(206) 949-5683, Top Rated Plumber, Seattle
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Remove frozen bathtub drain

Wink Remove frozen bathtub drain=Update at the bottom

1. Cross bar things are gone.

2. Tried prying up a piece and grabbing with needle nose pliers to turn. No luck

3. Used hacksaw blade to cut a notch at the angle where the flat part of the flange goes down to the drain. Then screw driver and hammer counter clockwise to loosen. But no

4. Hit the darn tub hoping to break a piece, but it is iron or steel and that was not helpful except for stress relief.

5. Used a blow dryer on HOT trying to melt old plumbers putty we assume is under there, but no help.

6. Looked for more suggestions here, but #3 is all we found beside something that calls for some expensive tool.

Any thing else?
    Last edited by nursedoe; 09-04-2007 at 07:45 PM.

Since the tub is already trashed there is no need to remove the drain thingy. Go around to the other room and pull that insulation from under the tub. You should find where the drain thingy connects to the plastic drain piping. There will be a trap between the tub and the drain. Between the trap and the tub there should be a slip nut connection, merely undo that slip nut.

OR, you can cut the piping between the tub and the trap, probably with your sawzall.

BTW, if the tub makes a solid thunk when you hit it with the hammer it is cast iron. If it sounds rather tinny it is pressed steel.

Default Still trying

Okay, went to the other room, a clothes closet, and removed those boards in the way. Pulled insulation, which revealed ROOTS! I mean serious roots, wrapped around everything like something out of a bad science fiction movie. So, we vaccuumed for bugs, dust and spider webs, then srayed pipe connections with Kaboom to help us loosen them. But the darn vent is in the way. I vote for cutting it out and covering it with plastic wrap while we work without trying to be pretzles. For some reason she votes not to mess with the abs.

Dorothy is under there now ( she is much stronger and braver about the critters scurrying about us. She is a soldier). She said that she sees what you are talking about and I am off to Lowes to get insulation and hack saw blades, some 1x6 pieces of wood to protect the floor and a new Roto zip ( the one I got just got isn't working and we wanted to upgrade anyway).

Master Plumber master plumber mark's Avatar
    indianapolis indiana - land of the free, home of the brave....
    Blog Entries

Talking get a small chisel

If you plan on re-useing the tub..

jsut go get a small cold chisel with a very sharp
    edje.....

simply chisel into the lip andcut the brass lip
    all the way into the drain iteslf....

cut with the chisel in the direction needed to screw the
    drain out ---counter -clock wise...

perhaps a little wd 40 on the drain while you are
    chiseling will make it go easier,

their is nothing better than the
    manly smell of WD 40 in the air
    while banging away on brass witha chisel and hammer...

it smells like......victory......

do not hit your thumb...

Thank you, but we are not going to use the tub again. Just want to get the darn thing out!

Center cross is gone...
    Buy an inside cutter - inexpensive tool that looks like a miniature saw blade on a 4 or 5" post - stick it through the drain hole and use it to cut the ABS from the tub side...
    It will cut the ABS tailpiece easily - no messing under the tub...
    [img]http://www.*********.com/catalog/productImage/5d5ff6df-7972-4f3a-af14-5030400ca094_300.jpg[/img]
    put home depot (no space) in the *** area
    Last edited by markts30; 08-29-2007 at 03:22 PM.

I now have quite a collection of saws: mini hacksaw, close quarter saw, sawzall, rotozip, regular hacksaws, dremel saws, chop/miter saw, scroll saw, jig saw, chain saw, and some big saw for lumber but the name escapes me. Something should cut that stuff. If I have to take a chain saw to the whole darn thing.

The only ABS is the vent. EVERYTHING is iron under there. Or brass, or something very heavy and green.

When I poke something into the drain, it makes a 90 degree turn toward the plumbing in the closet. It is metal and heavy all the way. Iron or brass under the tub. And spiders and assorted pale bugs and tree roots wrapped around the pipes holding them firmly in place.

hmmm Wonder if Daughter in law has experience with explosives?....

Back to work. Since we have no brawn, we have to count on our brains. And yours of course.
    Last edited by nursedoe; 08-29-2007 at 04:41 PM.

Unhappy

Clueless in the Desert.

So, on the top of the tub, prying, chisel use has led to a loose drain that still will not turn. It moves inward or side to side, but not around.

On the bottom end- some progress, but we have decided to give it up for now. What we find is that the tub itself flares out a bit to join with what feels like those good old brass couplings in the backyard water main leak. Very, very thick and heavy. But, in between there is something that feels rubbery, like a washer. I got a small hack saw between there and could hear it cut to about the depth of the blade. It sounds like it is rusty or corroded under there. But the flashlight died and my arm got tired. I go back to work tomorrow, so no work will be done for a while. We have time to think about it.

You are trying to take out the waste and overflow.sawzall the trap & shoe
    off the bottem of tub.take screws out of overflow.
    Hammer time.

Use 18 t per " metal blade.

That was beautiful, Mark. Mind if I use it?
    Master Plumber Mark:

there is nothing better than the
    manly smell of WD 40 in the air
    while banging away on brass with a chisel and hammer...

it smells like......victory......

do not hit your thumb...

Lightbulb Duh!

I'm baaaa aack! I worked lots of over time at the hospital, I should be able to hire some help soon.

Okay, I had to find some illustrations for bathtub parts to understand what you meant. I have been trying to cut the waste elbow, which is very heavy metal. I have improved my biceps greatly. And who needs yoga or pilates when you can twist yourself in a pretzle trying to squeeze in those tight places! AND bugs!! Eeeewwwwwwwwwwww! I cleaned up most of my prior mess, and just laid down in that closet trying to figure out an easier softer way. I wanted to let you all know that I totally change my mind about plumbers and the prices they charge! You are worth it. I am going to try cutting higher up on what I think is the trap. I bought the rotozip pro and it has metal cutting wheels and looks like fun. Wish me luck! If I get too frustated I may just cut the whole darn tub up in pieces with the roto zip metal cutting wheels.

What follows is just a story from nursing school and is not strictly plumbing. The first day of orientation, the new student nurses watched a film called "handmaidens no more". During the first part, a nurse was talking about how ( back in the 60's?), she made only about 11.00 with a bachelors degree and her plumber made four times that salary without any college education. And nurses will often joke/complain with each other about our salaries compared to yours. But you know what? You deserve what you make.

I work my bumm off too, and we both deal with so much excrement, but I rarely come home from work bleeding from cuts and abrasions that are certain to become infected given how they got cut, bitten by goodness knows what manner of crawly things, and I don't have to leave my job site to go buy more equipment several times a day. For the most part, I work in air conditioned buildings that are clean and dry. Just wanted to say that I finally understand why you get paid so much!

Thank you I have been a hospital and apprecate all the hard work you do.

I've never been a plumber (although I have fitted a heck of a lot of pipe) but after my nice cushy engineering job was eliminated I spent the last two years prior to retirement working in a hot, dirty, noisy high-pressure boiler plant.

During that two-years I was hospitalized with a kidney stone (got a free ride to the hospital in the fire dept. aid car) and about a year after retirement spent a day and a night in the hospital with a bladder stone.

Based on those experiences I feel confident in saying that I could NEVER be a nurse. I would prefer to be laying in sewage, under a house with a 12 inch crawlspace with spiders crawling over me while working on a bathtub trap than being a nurse, no matter how much the nurse's job paid.

I have tremendous respect for anyone that can be a nurse.

Default I hate that bathtub!

Crikie ! (is that how Steve Irwin would have spelled it?). I lost the phone number of the bathroom demo guy! I thought I had it on a saved document, but apparently not.

I give up on it today. Maybe my brain needs a rest.

My job is physically and emotionally challenging- I work in world famous children's hospital. And we all deserve more money. I just now have a much better understanding of it seems like you charge so much. I would pay bank right now for someone to rip that darn thing out so I can get on with the fun stuff, like putting up the hardibacker, new plumbing, and finally to the tile! I want my own shower back!

nursedoe