Tree of Heaven

Users who are viewing this thread

Giles

Retired tool & Die and Mechanic
Reaction score
aial3048.jpg

Anybody else had any experience with gitting rid of this problem tree? I have them all over a 6 acre site. I can cut a 4"-6" tree and about 100 seedlings sprout up from the root system.

Last edited by a moderator:

Phil H2

Reaction score
Oh no. I really feel sorry for you. I have battled those nasty trees in my yard. The roots send up sprouts all over the place. I have spent hours digging up roots but the suckers keep on coming up. It doesn't help that my neighbors have a couple big trees (rental property with a landlord that seems to like the trees :mad: ) If you search the internet with the keyword "Ailanthus," you might find some good information. Check your private messages, I am sending you a story about something I did once when I was angry at one of the stumps.

Geniescience

Homeowner
Reaction score
with any plant that keeps on springing back to life from its roots, you can do this: Cut back regrowth so frequently that you are draining the roots of their ingredients. This also damages the plant and all that mending takes away from its regrowth vigor. Just turn it into a "fun" thing to do, and know that your new habit is a test of your patience and constancy against that plant's ability to use its stored energy to invest in new chlorophyll. After enough time, the root system will have shrunk (like trees losing leaves) and it'll be easier to kick apart, pry up, and cut pieces out of. One day you'll notice that the regrowth is a lot smaller than it used to be. That will mean you are nearing the end of this plant's life cycle.

David

R

Rancher

Unless you want some of the sprouts to live, then you can use the chemical herbicide with the following ingrediant "2-4D", it's a broad leaf weed killer, which basically means anything other than grass. You find it in Weedar 64 (E bay) and off the shelf for a lot more $$$ as Weed-b-Gone.

You may have to spray more than once.

Rancher

R

Rancher

If you want to use a more enviromentally friendly solution... well maybe not. Diesel fuel will kill the sprouts, it suffocates them, just apply every day for a couple of weeks, I'm currently killing sprouts from an old sycamore this way.

Rancher

Master Plumber Mark

Sensitivity trainer and plumber of mens souls
Reaction score
indianapolis indiana - land of the free, home of
Website
www.weilhammerplumbing.com
Diesel fuel mixed with herbicide

What does a "tree of heaven" look like anyway????

The Deisel fuel works great , if you take one part
D- Fuel and 3 parts some nasty herbacide.....
and it basically will kill about anything .....

the D fuel mixes with the herbacide and the D oil
makes it all stick to the roots, and not wash away.

I made a path through the woods in my back yard 5 years ago
through heavy undergrowth useing this method and the path is still there today....

of course its not considered an enviornmentaly freindly
way to do things theese days.

Livin4Real

Reaction score
diesel fuel mixed with Pramitol herbicide will kill anything (grass included) so you have to be careful with it but it will work. we use it on our fence rows on the farm and I believe it's the same stuff our DOT uses to spray along guardrails, etc. Runs $40 a gallon but only need about a cup per gallon of diesel, it's that strong.

R

Rancher

Is Pramitol better than Glyphosate or cheaper? If so send me a private message on where to get it.

Rancher

bigrebnc1861

Plumber
Reaction score
Hello all

Hi everyone, it's been a while for me since I, was on this discussion board I hope everyone is ok. Now I see a few people are advising the original poster to use diesel fuel as a weed killer. Is this not illegal to do? Are you not poisoning the water table by doing this?

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks