New Member-1'st post is a question

Users who are viewing this thread

Giles

Retired tool & Die and Mechanic
Reaction score
I am new to this forum and this is my first post.

I am installing a new bath in my basement. Unfortunately I will have to cut into the existing 4" stack, just above the floor, to install the proper "T". The toilet will be about 15 feet from this new "T". This means that my pipe centerline will be approximately 11 inches higher at the new toilet. I can think of four options. (1) Use a Rear discharge Toilet, which will have to be raised about 8 inches. (2) Use a wall mount, which I don't know the centerline height of the discharge. (3) Use a standard toilet on an elevated floor. (4) Use an up flush design toilet. I know that there is quite a bit of differences in the cost of each application, but I have never had to deal with this type addition. If possible, could someone please educate me as to the pros and cons of each application? Also, could someone tell me the outlet height of the wall mount toilet discharge? Any advise would be greatly appreciated. ---THANKS--

Last edited by a moderator:

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
2% grade means 3.75" in 15 feet.

The centerline for a wall hung with a bowl height of 16.5" would be 6.125"

It seems that if you broke some concrete out, you could put in a wye and keep the toilet and floor at a fairly standard height.

Giles

Retired tool & Die and Mechanic
Reaction score
Terry said:
2% grade means 3.75" in 15 feet.

The centerline for a wall hung with a bowl height of 16.5" would be 6.125"

It seems that if you broke some concrete out, you could put in a wye and keep the toilet and floor at a fairly standard height.

I thought that the drop for the drain would be 1/4" per foot. Are you saying that the total rise for 15' would be 3.75" ? I considered digging out the concrete and I may go that route. I am just trying to decide. I certainly do appreciate your advice!

Last edited by a moderator:

FloridaOrange

Plumbing Designer
Reaction score
Here anyway (gotta preface that area requirements differ somewhat) anything 3" or larger is 1/8" per ft., 1/4" per ft. for pipe sizes smaller. On long (20' or more) we'll sometime run 3" to a sink just for the slope.

Geniescience

Homeowner
Reaction score
Missel and Geberit carriers take standard Euro style bowls. Both are wall-mount carriers that hide the tank in the wall. Both have outlets at more than a foot above the floor. (I can look up more precise data). Remember that your floor will be raised about an inch after your underlayment and tile are on it.

Caroma is another wall-mount in-wall tank and carrier. People are happy with it too. Approx similar height above floor.

Another in-wall carrier is a Turkish company that imports into the US but I forget its name right now.

Some US manufacturers make or have made wall-mounts too. You have lots of options that do not involve cutting concrete, which makes a lot of dangerous silica dust.

Upflush toilets work well, too

david

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
bath

Baths in basements with a raised floor, besides limiting the headroom, ALWAYS shout "handyman" and the first question any realtor will ask is, "Was this done with a city permit and inspection?" If the answer is yes, they may ask to see it, and if no, you could have a problem.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks