Galvanized Pipe Elbow Alignment

Users who are viewing this thread

Duke76

Reaction score
I have a very basic question.

I'm connecting a length of galvanized pipe with a 90 degree elbow that connects to another length of galvanized pipe. I need to ensure the elbow points in the proper direction to match up with another elbow 10 feet away. If I tighten the elbow as much as I can it points the wrong way.

Is the proper procedure to tighten as much as possible and then to back it off a bit to achieve the proper angle? And rely upon pipe compound for a water tight fit ?

Thank you.

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
There is a bit of a "touch" involved. You do not want to back it off. The idea is to tighten and know when you are on the last turn, and stop at the right point, or go around again!

JasonG

Reaction score
I read somewhere that after hand tightening, tighten one complete turn with a wrench and then continue to tighten to alignment. Is this good advice?

Duke76

Reaction score
Thanks guys. HJ, are you commenting on JasonG's advice ? Do you agree with Jimbo's answer.

Thanks in advance.

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
There are ANSI specs for thread engagement turns, but the spec itself acknowledges that there is so much variance from ideal in the cutting machines out there in the "real world" that the spec is just a guide. Back to the "touch"!

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks