Pex

Users who are viewing this thread

RioHyde

Plumber
Reaction score
We havent yet jumped on the PEX bandwagon at my company. I guess we're a bit leary of it due to the pb fiasco that we're still dealing with. You know "This is going to change the plumbing industry! Hurry dont get left behind!" If I'm not mistaken, PB was going to change the industry too....and it did. I replace PB all the time; even in my own home (all PB in my home is now gone thank goodness). Job security is what it gave us.

I've read posts speaking of how great it is while others speak of problems they've had (crimp rings seem to be an issue). I'm the first to admit that I dont know anything about a particular subject.....so..... I dont know anything about it! lol

I'd appreciate some comments from plumbers who are experienced with PEX. I've read information given by PEX manufacturers, but of course they arent going to say anything about problems that may be encountered. I'd really like to hear from other plumbers.

For now I'm sticking with copper, but am open to other materials if they are of good quality and cost efficient. Thanks in advance.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
I've been using Wirsbo PEX, the most common brand sold by my suppliers.

I still use copper where I need rigid connections so I'm doing something like a mixed system.

The PEX is quieter and doesn't sweat like copper.
In cold temperatures, it resists splitting.
For repipes, there isn't the wait, to drain down to make a connection.

It's been used in Europe for over 30 years. It's not a new product.
If it were my home, PEX would be used.

Plumber2000

Plumber
Reaction score
We use the RTI system all the time, no problems noted, jump on board, you be happy you did.

If the industry felt there was going to be a fallout like with poly pipe you can bet it would be banned from all codes books.

Once on board you will never want to return to the old ways, we still do some commercial installs in copper type L we never use Type M copper anywhere.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
Recently there has been a report that the composite aluminum/PEX tubing has developed a defect in some installations. The manufacturer is testing to see if it is a problem specific to those installations or something more pervasive.

RioHyde

Plumber
Reaction score
Thanks!

Terry, Plumber2000 and hj,

I want to thank you very much for your opinions. I think we'll give it a try and see how it goes. I just finished replumbing all the waterlines under/in a mobile home and PEX wouldve been a great alternative it seems. Nothing like trying to solder while laying on your back in a space so tight you cant even turn your head. Oh well, if it were easy anybody could do it, huh? lol

Again, thanks!

Master Plumber Mark

Sensitivity trainer and plumber of mens souls
Reaction score
indianapolis indiana - land of the free, home of
Website
www.weilhammerplumbing.com
copper cost vs wirsbo --some opinions please

Wirsbo does work ok, but I have been ashamed of a few jobs we have done in it..

If it is going in a nasty unheated crawl space, wirsbo is the answer to all youir freeze up issues...no one sees it, and it wont break.

I have seen some other plumbers work that truely I would have torn out and done over....if it were mine...

you almost cannot make the stuff look good, and pleasing to the eye...

its just very sloppy looking...

we had an old timer actually make us take some of it out becasue he refused to accept it in a rental property..
-------------------------------------------------------------------------

I still like copper, and in my honest opinion if you use type L in your home,

it is probably going to still be in service for your grand-children....thats at least 60 years from now, and what more could you ask...

you honestly dont know what the Wirsbo stuff might do in 15 years,

ie--- new chemicals in the public water supply affecting the tensoin in the plastic joint ect, ect..., who knows..what surprizes are still in store for everyone....

but who cares , all its really got to last is the one year warranty, right??

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

PLEASE GIVE ME YOUR OPINIONS HERE

I doubt that the copper vs the wirsbo is really that much of a fantastic saveings....for all the trouble and risk.

if the truth be known I doubt you save 150 dollars on a whole house install...

maybe the labor saveings is more, I would like some opinions here..

HAS ANYONE actually done a cost anaylisis on the difference between type L
copper and WIRSBO???

I have not really added up the difference in cost, though they say once you get used to the wirsbo, you can really crank out some work...maybe if youi are doing 500 homes a year , yes thats a lot of money.

but honestly, how much would you estimate you save in the whole scheme of thinsgs on an average two and a half bathroom house???

does anyone really know how much you save by makeing that leap of faith???

Plumber2000

Plumber
Reaction score
Cost of material can be a slight bit more then copper.

Cost in labor is where the savings are.

Plastic fittings, we use all brass fitting, might be cause RTI does not have plastic fittings, Wirsbo does.

Wirsbo we don't do, The RTI system is the system of most plumbers here in my area. I think %75 of the plumbers here now are into PEX piping.

Pex is supported every 2' and one can make it look good, workmanship is what it's about, straight runs just as possible as with copper.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
The question about cost savings is whether you are doing the job for about the same as a copper job, in which case you are making a good profit, or whether you have reduced the price of the job, so you are still making the same profit as you would with copper. In most cases the answer is the latter in projects because the builder/contractor has cut you to the bare bones.

wlparadise

Reaction score
Pex is splitting lengthwise in many of my properties

I own 10 duplex units in central Florida. The homes were built in 1999 and 2000.
The WHITE pex was used throughout all units. Randomly inside walls pipes are splitting lengthwise... like slashed with a box knife. Wonderfull call to get from a tenant at 2:00 am and she says there is water pouring out of my wall and the house is flooding.....and the shutoff is out by the STREET! Anyone know of any class action suits or recalls? I asked a neighbor and he has had to have 4 apartments plumbing completely replaced -- also built in 1999.:mad:

Seaofnames

DIY Senior Member
Reaction score
Website
www.boilermakers359.org
I own 10 duplex units in central Florida. The homes were built in 1999 and 2000.
The WHITE pex was used throughout all units. Randomly inside walls pipes are splitting lengthwise... like slashed with a box knife. Wonderfull call to get from a tenant at 2:00 am and she says there is water pouring out of my wall and the house is flooding.....and the shutoff is out by the STREET! Anyone know of any class action suits or recalls? I asked a neighbor and he has had to have 4 apartments plumbing completely replaced -- also built in 1999.:mad:

Use the search function here.

protech

Master plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.protechplumbing.biz
I'm in central Fl. Would you mind showing me the pipe? I've been using pex now for about 10 years and if it really is going to go bad I'd like to know about it.

Master Plumber Mark

Sensitivity trainer and plumber of mens souls
Reaction score
indianapolis indiana - land of the free, home of
Website
www.weilhammerplumbing.com
get some pictures

Another brand of pex ,,,,, another lawsuit... I LOVE IT..
it warms my heart to see this thread just jump back to life again.......

I cant think of what brand the white stuff is

perhaps its vanguard...

take some pictures of it and try
to get the wording and numbers in the pic

I look at this like job security....

eventually their will be millions of
homes that need to be re-plumbed...

either in Wirsbo or copper...

Last edited:

protech

Master plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.protechplumbing.biz
Could you get the brand name of the pipe? It's almost always printed on the pipe.

NHmaster

Master Plumber
Reaction score
I hate PEX. I see it as just another straw on the camels back that is slowly driving our profession to the ranks of amateurs.

protech

Master plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.protechplumbing.biz
How many home owners and DIYers have you seen running pex? I never see them running pex. I think they don't want to buy the tools. It's always cpvc that they are running around here.

I hate PEX. I see it as just another straw on the camels back that is slowly driving our profession to the ranks of amateurs.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks