(206) 949-5683, Top Rated Plumber, Seattle
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Simple Workings of a Transformer

A Nokia battery charger should be able to handle the crappiest waveforms you throw at it. The voltage is rectified and filtered then chopped again to achieve DC.

Quote Originally Posted by jimbo
    An inverter takes the car's DC battery voltage and outputs an AC waveform. Most commonly sold inverters take the 12VDC and output 120VAC. We should stop talking about polarity with an AC wave because it is not relevant.

Your charging cube for the phone takes a regular household 120 VAC and makes a much lower voltage, DC, to charge the battery. Why would you start with a car battery, invert it up to 120 AC, then "wall mart" it back to low voltage DC???? Why not just plug the phone in directly with a car adapter?
    AC relevance is very important...no gimmick here!!!! Early inverters relied on the "chopped" dc waveforms simply because the designers knew no better!!! READ YOUR INSTRUCTIONS for connecting early ac electronic "frequency sensative" devices! DUHHHHHHH!!!! A simple cell charger is a ac "frequency sensative" device! Yep...I'll admit to being a dummy when it comes to certain devices! Fried a "electronically" ballasted flourescent lamp in my camper with this inverter, yet magnetic ballasts survived!!! EARLY INVERTERS CHOPPED THE DC VOLTAGE AT A RATE OF 60 CYCLES PER SECOND....meaning the voltage was pullsed and blocked 60 TIMES A SECOND, thasnks to the diode and the SCR regulator!!!!! Newer inverters, as im told, REVERSE THIS CURRENT AT 60 CYLES PER SECOND, (yep...appears your right jadnusha) and even the newest devices do filter and round the wave....NOWHERE NEAR THE SAME!!!! Take an analog volt meter into the output of an older inverter...the neddle will vibrate towards the apositive READING....REVERSE THE LEADS, IT WILL VIBRATE TOWARDS THE ZERO, OR NEGATIVE SIDE!!! HOOK IT TO AC< AND IT WILL VIBRATE OR CYCLE IN BOTH DIRECTIONS EQUALLY!!! Explain this to me if "positive/negative doesnt matter with an inverter!!!! Tried this test today before even challenging this responce!!! Put the same analog meter into an ac outlet...meter set on dc...if your lucky, youll question the reading. Not lucky? Then buy a new meter!!! Smart enough to use an osscilliscope? Then you understand when u see the waveform!!! Not that smart? Back away, cause I WILL TELL YOU what I would connect to my own body, and what I would walk away from! If I die...my stupidity...not yours!!!

The quality of inverter output varies significantly by price. Crappy ones give a series of stepped square waves with discrete increases in voltage until they get about where they are going and them back down. Lots of things hate this. Waveforms and voltmeter results would vary quite a bit.

A high end inverter can be found in solar systems and uninterpretable power supplies (not all of them are good). They can put out a pure sine wave as good as the outlet in your lining room. There is more than one way to do this but they essentially make the switching steps so small they become indistinguishable from a sine wave. If you look at one of these you would not see the funny results you get from a cheap one.

The ones made for use in cars used to use a "vibrator" (clean your minds up out there) which was just a buzzer with contacts driving a transformer. They were real bad. As noted in the post above above, some inverters just sort of replaced the buzzer with a solid state device.

Quote Originally Posted by alternety
    The ones made for use in cars used to use a "vibrator" (clean your minds up out there) which was just a buzzer with contacts driving a transformer. They were real bad. As noted in the post above above, some inverters just sort of replaced the buzzer with a solid state device.
    Sorry guys...lol...I didnt mean the "DUHHH" in the earlier post above in a smart cocky way...after reading back, just sounded rude. It was really my duh (long story)... My appologies. It wasnt meant the way it read..
    Last edited by abikerboy; 09-03-2007 at 03:26 AM.