Simple Workings of a Transformer

Users who are viewing this thread

DJhandy

Reaction score
I ordered a 115 volt primary, 12 volt secondary transformer. I received it and this is my problem: Has 2 wires for primary got that, has 2 red wires and one white wire on the secondary. When I connect to 115v and check the secondary Ground to white and check each red wire I have 7.5 volts out of each read wire. I need 12 volts, am I missing something? Why does it have 2 red wires? How do I get the 12 volts I need?

Reply appreciated

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
Whatever you are calling ground does not enter this equation.

Without actually seeing a diagram of that unit, I would suggest that the secondary is the two red wires. You would see about 15 volts ( open circuit). That is about normal to give you 12 volts under load. The white wire is the center tap, hence 1/2 the voltage from each red to the white.

DJhandy

Reaction score
Transformer

It has 2 black wires on the primary side. One white and two reds on the secondary side. If I connect meter: One leg to the white and one to either red I get 7.5 volts. How do I connect it to get 12 volts? I need it to connect to a govenor control box on a generator. I have two connections on the control box to connect the transformer too. The govenor control needs 12 volts to operate.

Thanks
DJ

Chris75

Electrician
Reaction score
DJhandy said:
I ordered a 115 volt primary, 12 volt secondary transformer. I received it and this is my problem: Has 2 wires for primary got that, has 2 red wires and one white wire on the secondary. When I connect to 115v and check the secondary Ground to white and check each red wire I have 7.5 volts out of each read wire. I need 12 volts, am I missing something? Why does it have 2 red wires? How do I get the 12 volts I need?

Reply appreciated

What brand and model so we can look it up online...

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Measure between the two red wires, tape off the white wire unless you have a need for half the voltage.

Furd

Engineer
Reaction score
I need it to connect to a govenor control box on a generator. I have two connections on the control box to connect the transformer too. The govenor control needs 12 volts to operate.

A transformer will output AC voltage. Are you sure that your application does not require DC?

DJhandy

Reaction score
Transformer

Yes I need 12 volt AC it is a replacement transformer. The old one had various voltages 6-9-12 I believe and the 12 was used. The model# 41FG300 is what was sent(no name or origin) as replacement and it states Pri: 115v Sec: 12.6 v
It supplies the signal to the governors board from the generator to control the engine speed. The wires from the transformer goes to a ground terminal and to signal in on governors board. The replacement transformer as stated previously has 2 black wires for primary, secondary has 2 red and one white wire. Power across both reds are 14-15 volts, from either red to white is 7.5 volts. I need 12 volts from single wire to connect to board and a ground wire to board. I've always used transformers that gave me the voltage I needed out of one wire. What do I need to accomplish what I seek?

Thanks for your help

HandyAndy

General Contractor, Farmer
Reaction score
first:
there is no such animal, you need two wires (paths), to make a complete circuit,

even a cars coil, (which is a transformer) is actually a two wire (paths) unit, the high voltage wire running to the spark plugs and the case of the coil which attaches to the bock of the motor and the spark plugs are also attached to the block of the motor, thus two wires even tho you only have (one visible wire) in other words there needs to be a complete circuit, which takes two avenues of path, (wires),

there is two wires,(paths) in the primary side of the transformer, and there are two or more paths, (depending on the taps) on the secondary side of the transformer), but each voltage needs a complete circuit to travel thus (for sake of better description) a path out of the transformer coil and one back in to coil. Now like in the cars coil the case of the coil is the other path (wire),

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
two: apparently the transformer you have is different than the one that is in the generator, and you may need to go and get actual parts for that model

three: it sounds like to me you may be wise to take it to a an actual repair place that understands the workings of the generator and get fixed and checked out by some one who understands what is going on in the unit,

if you get it hooked up wrong you may end up costing your self much more than the price of the transformer,

Jadnashua

Reaction score
You might be able to attach one of the reds to the system ground and use the other lead as your hot. It doesn't matter which one.

DJhandy

Reaction score
Transformer Solved

:) :) I contacted the manufacture Precision Governors (Chad a fine fellow)and jadnashua (moderator) you win the bragging rights and a big thank you.

One red goes to the + input and the other to the -terminal and wala 14.5 volts as needed.

I personally don't understand when u bench test an item and have 7.5 out of each lead and if you connect one leg to ground that 7.5v ends up in the positive leg giving 14 v. I've read and read about transformers. Can someone explain this in layman's terms??

Thanks to all for your help
DJ
Ready now Generator good to go it's a Diesel Isuzu 15KW

snafflekid

Electrical Engineer
Reaction score
One red wire to the white wire is a transformer tap for 7.5V

The white wire to the other red wire is another identical transformer tap for 7.5V

So, one red wire to the other red wire is like two taps in series, the voltages add and that makes 15V, or about 14.5 in your case.

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
There is no positive and negative on AC voltage , so you are mixing up the terms a little. I hope your device actually needed an AC voltage, and not 12 VDC

Jadnashua

Reaction score
The transformer secondary winding in your device has a tap in the middle (the white wire). While not an exact analogy, think of a variable resister with the wiper arm set exactly midpoint. If you run voltage through it, measuring from one end to the other, you get the full voltage; measure from one end to the middle, you get half.

this is the same idea as the power coming into your house...it is really 220vac, with a tap in the middle (your neutral), so you get 110 on each half referenced to the middle.

R

Rancher

DJhandy said:
I personally don't understand when u bench test an item and have 7.5 out of each lead and if you connect one leg to ground that 7.5v ends up in the positive leg giving 14 v. I've read and read about transformers. Can someone explain this in layman's terms??
AC transformers are spec'd at their full load current (or 80%, I forget) so if you bought a 1 Amp, 12 Volt CT (center tapped) transformer, the open circuit voltage could well be 15 volts as you have discovered, or 14 volts under load, or 12 volts under full load that the transformer was spec'd at.

Rancher

R

Rancher

jwelectric said:
nd DC, DC. ??????????

Have you learned how to transform DC?
Sure you can transform DC, 12 Volts DC into one side of the transformer, 0 Volts DC out the other side.

Rancher

Abikerboy

DIY Senior Member
Reaction score
jwelectric said:
nd DC, DC. ??????????

Have you learned how to transform DC?
Yea...it's called an "inverter"...lol!!! In the early days of electronics, it was called a "vibrating coil"... it was used to synthesise ac voltace out of a dc input by creating a chopped sign wave. Sorry guys, I just couldnt resist!

JWelectric

Electrical Contractor/Instructor
Reaction score
abikerboy said:
Yea...it's called an "inverter"...lol!!! In the early days of electronics, it was called a "vibrating coil"... it was used to synthesise ac voltace out of a dc input by creating a chopped sign wave. Sorry guys, I just couldnt resist!

Does not an inverter work by reversing the polarity of the DC voltage applied to the transformer or in other words by alternating the polarity of the DC voltage.

Last edited:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks