waterline and sewerpipe under concrete

Users who are viewing this thread

golfinfoolery

Reaction score
thanks for this great forum.....

I have done plumbing for about 30 years around the farm and for friends/relatives, and never had any problems.
However now mom wants to use part of the pole barn as a mudroom and do concrete floor.

My brother ditched and tied into the house plumbing with some 1" black poly and 4" abs and tucked them both under the bottom lip of the polebarn. He also ran the sewer pipe up through the roof for venting.

My task: to do waterline and 3" sewer pipe where we will have concrete poured for floor........can I run regular white pex and regular ABS piping?

Are they both concrete proof???? Do I need to encase the white pex with some bigger pipe for protection or ______?

Much thanks for your help :)

PS I know not to have connections in the piping under the concrete.

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
Someone will answer the plumbing questions; but as a beach bum from Southern California, I need to know why poles need to be in a barn???

Toolaholic

General Contractor Carpenter
Reaction score
Abs Is Pine So Is Pvc

My self Id go k copper at least under the concrete. Sleeve risers coming through concrete. I like to run 1 extra conduit empty with a pull rope for the future. cheap enough. make sure all pipes [horizontal] are below concrete

Cwhyu2

Consultant
Reaction score
Yes you can use any piping you want,but wrap it 10 mil plastic before you
pour your concrete.Had to do the pun.
Good luck.:)

FloridaOrange

Plumbing Designer
Reaction score
To be code compliant you may want to look at protecting the water if it's in the same ditch. Here, if they occupy the same space you must do one of 3 things.

1.Excavate a shelf for the water so it's min. 12" above the sanitary.
2. Sleeve the water where it crosses the sanitary (even if it's above), for 5 feet in either direction.
3. There must be 5' of undisturbed or compacted earth in between.

Exception based on specific materials used.

Check your local codes.

golfinfoolery

Reaction score
thanks so much for the feedback. Was wondering the past few hrs.about with the pex, wrapping in neoprene foam insulation, then feed thru 2" ABS just for protection.

Brother did water and sewer ditches about 10 ft.apart for safety, also did small flags for marking (like turkey tails or sprinkler flags), just hoping the goats don't get loose and eat the flags over time LOL

Plan on taking exact measurements from nonmoving landmarks here for the next generation.... :)

Please....let me know if the pex-neoprene-abs for protection would be a good idea.

PS "sleeve".......???

Construct30

Reaction score
Regardless of what kind of water pipe you use, you should protect it when it comes up through a floor or through a concrete wall. I would say that goes double for a garage or barn. PEX can be installed directly in concrete, but it needs protected when it breaks the surface. Copper should be wrapped when it is in concrete. I would insulate water supply lines under ground regardless of what kind of pipe it is, and put a protective sleeve around it where it comes up through the floor. The International plumbing code does require that any pipe has to be protected from damage.

mark

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks