adding a loop in a monoflow system

Users who are viewing this thread

randilo

Reaction score
Currently i have a monoflow system and is heating the basement and 1st floor. I would like to add a loop for the 2nd floor and make 2 zones. There is one circ pump and the supply and return are 1 1/4 copper. How do you suggest I add a 3/4 loop and create 2 zones?

Randy

Got_Nailed

DIY Senior Member
Reaction score
Yes you can use 3/4 depending on how much water you will need. I would use a second pump, check valve and stuff. I would use 1†if it was me (you didn’t give much info).

You will need to make sure that your boiler will handle all of your heating loads.

GrumpyPlumber

Licensed Grump
Reaction score
You could also add a zone valve, but Got nailed has the better option, I prefer seperate circs for each zone.
If your asking if you could add a monoflo zone to the second floor from the first, I doubt it would work, far too much resistance for a monoflo loop to make it up a full story effectively.

Got_Nailed

DIY Senior Member
Reaction score
I have a 500 and a 250 gallon wood boiler in series. I was using zone valves so I could cut down on the power usage. After the thought of if the pump burns out and I can’t get a new one for a few days and install it I’m sol. With one pump for each loop at least you will have some heat and be able to move the pump if you have to have the heat where you need it.

I now have 3 more pumps. One for a back up and still have not installed the other 2.

I will thank Grumpy for slapping me in to thinking about this.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks