Bubbling in TWO different toilets while taking a shower..

Users who are viewing this thread

dwicker

Reaction score
My wife noticed some moisture on the floor around the toilet Friday morning, so I figured the wax ring in our front bathroom went kaput. Pulled the toilet, and there was a big waxy mess, so I scraped up everything I could, cleaned it all off, and set the new ring in place. I had never done this before, but I didn't nick the wax or anything like that - I was pretty careful to set the ring in place and lay the toilet on it evenly. No visible leaks yet (knock on wood).

But now, while taking a shower, we're having a problem with bubbling coming up from not only the toilet that's in the same bathroom, but also bubbling from the toilet in our master bathroom (which is currently undergoing an "extended remodel" :) - toilet hasn't been flushed in months). That toilet is at least 20 feet away.

Everything else seems to be draining properly. The washer (which is nearby) doesn't seem to cause any bubbles.

Any ideas? Partial blockage? Snake it out? Thanks!

dwicker

Reaction score
Terry, you're right. I feared the worst, and I think I got it.

I uncorked the outside cleanout cap and all kinds of fun stuff came out. Blech! Main line to the street is clogged up pretty good, it seems. Now I'm an amateur - toughest plumbing job I've ever done is installed a sink, all associated plumbing, and garbage disposal. Would it be unwise to rent a power auger for this job? I'm pretty poor at the moment and am terrified at getting ripped by a local guy. Plus I'd like to learn how so if this ever happens again..

Thanks.

dwicker

Reaction score
Alright.. I'll be calling one tomorrow, most likely. Any guesses on price for this type of work? Thanks.

watertight

Reaction score
You could try calling your sewer district. Sometimes they can be helpful in recommending companies to do the work or in offering other advice. Mine will send someone over to put a camera down the main and find out where the problem is. Not all districts are as helpful as mine, but it might be worth a phone call to find out.

dwicker

Reaction score
I found a local guy who's pretty reputable and has great prices. :)

Quick question.. and one I probably already know the answer to. If I leave the cleanout uncapped, is it a bad idea to use the toilet or shower? The cleanout is in an inconspicuous area, and I don't mind if some yuck water or poo flows out - I can clean it up later (since there's already some around the cleanout).

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks