Am I over bidding?

Users who are viewing this thread

Lorenz Custer

Reaction score
I live in California,Central coast. I am about to give my bid to a family I recently started working for. I have done few jobs for them, flagstone,clean up on other properties. I am getting ready to add small flagstone to existing patio. Filling in spaces rather, than will be laying a sand finish with adhesive to seal in the stone patio. Size is 50sq. ft. In addition an area in front yard 30x25 L shaped needs to be clean up and prep for planting and stepping stones. There is dirt to remove as well as rock. On top of moving the left over DG and flagstone that sits on top[ of dirt that needs to be removed and leveled. Only to reuse DG and stone in area. I will purchase materials and haul away dirt and debris. My price I will propose is $800. For everything needed and needed to be hauled away.Could use advice .I want to be fair.

Cass

Plumber
Reaction score
Since we are not there and can not see the work needed it would ne very hard to estimate, we also don't know what the going rates in your area are for work like this.

If you have done this B 4 then you should be able to quote the job.

Quote the job for what you think is a fair price and see what happens.

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
Is this all done with manual labor, or will you have a little bobcat or something? How many yards of material do you have to move around and/or haul away.

If you just take the $800 and divide by, just throw in a number....$40 per hour, that is 20 hours, 2½ days. Can you do the job in that time, by yourself? Or do you have to pay helpers? What about the time to drive the haul away? And is there a dump fee for the haul away? Do you have to rent any equipment, of is this just a rake-and-shovel job? Do you have to purchase any material?

Hope this helps. I am not a landscaper, so I just tried to throw in some ideas about how you might cost a job like this.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
price

The only good price is one where you make a fair profit, or wage. At my rates $800.00 would not even begin to cover the costs, but if you think you can do the job for that amount and be happy, then that is the price to give them. One thing to remember is that you can always reduce the price if they want to negotiate, but you will NEVER be able to raise the price.

Master Plumber Mark

Sensitivity trainer and plumber of mens souls
Reaction score
indianapolis indiana - land of the free, home of
Website
www.weilhammerplumbing.com
bid it high-- dont be fair

HJ is absolutely right...once you start , you are stuck

800 bucks sounds like you are trying to
do someone a favor.....
and no good deed ever goes un-punished.
at least in my neck of the woods.......

especially with moveing dirt and heavy materials....

once you start the job you cant ask for
more money and you stil lhave to make them
happpy with the work...

wether it takes you two days or two weeks......

double your price or attempt to do a

"not to exceed $$" estimate.

Last edited:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks