Recommendations for washing machine shutoff

Users who are viewing this thread

SteveW

DIY Senior Member
Reaction score
I have a washing machine box with 2 old boiler drains on the side and the drain in the middle. Since the boiler drains are so cumbersome to shut off, we never do so (unless we go on vacation). I'd like to switch out the boiler drains with modern ball valves to make it easier to shut off the water to the washing machine after we use it.

The boilder drains are 1/2" MIP screwed into female copper sweat adapters. I tried to loosen the valves in order to replace them with 1/4 turn ball valves but couldn't get them loose, mostly due to the small size of the box.

Now, I am intending to replace the whole box and valves. I was wondering what others' experience is about the advantages of separate ball valves vs. the "all in one" double valve, where you use a lever to shut off hot and cold water at the same time. Are there any differences in reliability between these alternatives?

Chris75

Electrician
Reaction score
Automatically shuts the water off after every use... easy to install also...

Last edited:

TMB9862

Reaction score
SteveW said:
I was wondering what others' experience is about the advantages of separate ball valves vs. the "all in one" double valve, where you use a lever to shut off hot and cold water at the same time. Are there any differences in reliability between these alternatives?
I'd use the double valve. Then lever is much more convenient to operate then two quarter turn boiler trains. As far as reliability goes they're both ball valves and should last a long time.

Geniescience

Homeowner
Reaction score
Chris75 said:
...watts-a2c-m...
IntelliFlowâ„¢ Systems
A2C-M1 Surface mount system - solder - with leak sensor
A2C-WB-M1 Recessed mount with wall box - solder and/or thread - with leak sensor

Retrofit Kits - for use with the valves shown above
KA2-BD For straight or angled shutoffs - includes glue
KA2-A Standard surface mount
KA2-R To adapt to existing wall box with single lever
washing machine valve

A2-IntelliTimer A remote timer which allows the IntelliFlow® to be used in applications where a combination washer/dryer is 220 VAC powered. Activation of the push button on the timer causes current flow, which is detected by the Intelliflow® then actuates the solenoid valves, allowing water to flow to the washing machine. This also begins a timing sequence of two hours, which, upon its completion de-energizes the IntelliFlow®.

Chris, do you know more, or did you just happen across it?

David
p.s. congratulations on becoming a member.

Chris75

Electrician
Reaction score
geniescience said:
IntelliFlowâ„¢ Systems
A2C-M1 Surface mount system - solder - with leak sensor
A2C-WB-M1 Recessed mount with wall box - solder and/or thread - with leak sensor

Retrofit Kits - for use with the valves shown above
KA2-BD For straight or angled shutoffs - includes glue
KA2-A Standard surface mount
KA2-R To adapt to existing wall box with single lever
washing machine valve

A2-IntelliTimer A remote timer which allows the IntelliFlow® to be used in applications where a combination washer/dryer is 220 VAC powered. Activation of the push button on the timer causes current flow, which is detected by the Intelliflow® then actuates the solenoid valves, allowing water to flow to the washing machine. This also begins a timing sequence of two hours, which, upon its completion de-energizes the IntelliFlow®.

Chris, do you know more, or did you just happen across it?

David
p.s. congratulations on becoming a member.

I've seen these used on jobs where the plumber could not make the water shutoff accessible.... they seem to work fine....

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks