Bacement cleanout trap has a small hole

Users who are viewing this thread

nyleak

Reaction score
Hello all--I have a cast iron --Trap that runs along the basement wall--Its U shapped with two 4 inch cleanouts plugs on it--My problem is--I noticed a small leak last night on my basement floor--and found that the pipe has a small hole right at the U therest of the pipe is fine--My question is--Can i go to ********* and get some type of a patch kit or some kind of a fiberglass repair-such as the ones they use on OIL TANKS that leak.. Right now i have Silicone adhesive over the small hole and its working 100% no problems--I dont trust that tho--I want a better patch! Why the hole is there is another question--The pipe is old--and doesnt have any other areas that need fixing--I think when i added Acid to the pool through the pipe--It did something.. Thanks for any help!! Have a great day!! MARK

Cass

Plumber
Reaction score
Sounds like a whole house trap...how old is your home.

nyleak

Reaction score
The house is about 65 Yrs old

I know i can change the trap assy--But i'm also sure i can seal it--Hell--They seal Fuel oil tanks 275 gal jobs--With fiberglass sealer--I've seen it--So this trap should be a snap to seal.. I sanded the area--Its all clean now ready to seal.. I was also told by a few other about JB Weld.. Thanks so much for getting back to me.... All of you!! Have a good night! MARK

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
hole

Cast iron pipes do not have "small" holes. The small hole is usually just the tip of a larger pit on the inside. If you tap around the small hole you should have a large hole in short order.

Master Plumber Mark

Sensitivity trainer and plumber of mens souls
Reaction score
indianapolis indiana - land of the free, home of
Website
www.weilhammerplumbing.com
USE DUCT TAPE or Electrical tape

The silicone seal that you put on the trap will probably
be good for 20 years....perhaps add another layer or two
and its good for an extra ten.....

Now if you really want to make the next plumber mad...

take a roll of electrical tape or duct tape and roll about
30 feet worth of it onto that trap ell....over the silicone....

it is hell to get off
but is seems to be what I run into all the time under kitchen sinks.....

and it usually works fine untill everything on both sides of the patch
finally rots away....

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks