Is an Air Tank Needed?

Users who are viewing this thread

Yar02169

Reaction score
First of all, this site is an awesome source of information, and I thank all that provide others with helpful information.
I have a shallow well that has been in development for some 6 years now. I'm finally to the point where I have some good flow (10 gpm), but I still have some tweaking to do.
One issue that I have is that I do get some sand into the system, not a lot, but enough to occasionally keep the solenoid valve(s) open. I bought a sediment filter that I plan on installing, but to do so I will have to cut pipe. My plan is to install the filter with Unions so that when everything is up and running, I may be able to remove the filter and replace it with straight pipe that has no restriction. Unfortunately, the one Union at the pump seems to be discontinued because I cannot buy a Union that will fit (screw on) my existing one. I will need to re-build the plumbing between the pump discharge - filter - system. I know that I need a pressure gauge, but is my small (2 gallon?) air-tank necessary? The well is only used for irrigation, and I have no idea why an air tank is needed. 99% of the time it will be used for the sprinkler system, with an occasional hose use. Does the tank act as a pressure cushion when the system shuts off, eliminating stress to the pipe joints?
I will use the tank if it's needed, but it will look much nicer without it.
Thanks.

Leejosepho

DIY scratch-pad engineer
Reaction score
Website
www.nonameyet.org
yar02169 said:
I know that I need a pressure gauge, but is my small (2 gallon?) air-tank necessary? The well is only used for irrigation, and I have no idea why an air tank is needed. 99% of the time it will be used for the sprinkler system, with an occasional hose use. Does the tank act as a pressure cushion when the system shuts off, eliminating stress to the pipe joints?

It is actually the pressure guage that is not mechanically necessary. At the very least, the air tank protects the switch from flipping itself to death when the draw from the well is less than the pump can produce.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
system

The switch turns the pump on and off. The tank, and 2 gallons may not be enough, absorbs pressure overrun to prevent the pump from cycling on and off when the demand is less than the pump can produce. Unions are not standard, so unless you buy the number you need at one time, the next time you need one, the supplier could have changed so that the new one is not compatible.

Yar02169

Reaction score
I realized that the unions are threaded, so doing my modification for the sedement filter became a lot easier. The air tank will stay to prevent the switch from cycling itself to death. My switch question will come in another post if my searching doesn't provide an answer.
Thanks for the help.

Speedbump

Reaction score
Where do you intend on installing this filter? Not before the tank I hope.

If you are using a pressure switch, you must use a tank. If you just want to turn the pump on when you need the sprinklers, use a manual switch or a timer.

bob...

Yar02169

Reaction score
I installed the filter after the tank. Now I have one solenoid switch that remains open, so I will have to rebuild that before I can address the pressure switch issue. That will ba another post.

Thanks for your help.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks