Hole in Copper Pipe

Users who are viewing this thread

wackysue

Reaction score

Help! I was installing a ceiling vent cover and accidentally drilled a hole in my copper plumbing. I don't enjoy plumbing so is there an easy fix?
Thanks!

Got_Nailed

DIY Senior Member
Reaction score
Mike your right but…
If you do get a $10.00 bandage on there it’ll be a $5,000 + in a few months to a year. I do know that if insurance sees that it was not fixed right they might not pay for the damages.

Cwhyu2

Consultant
Reaction score
I cut out sections of copper tubing used slip couplings,done properly should
be no problems.

Gary Swart

In the Trades
Reaction score
Repairing this with a slip coupling certainly is not a "band aid" repair. It's no different than when you are plumbing and have to add a new length of pipe.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Soldering in a slip coupling (basically, a butt sleeve joint without a stop in the middle) is the cheapest way to fix this. If you don't want to solder, there is a Sharkbite slip coupling that may work if you have enough room - it's larger in diameter and longer - it will fill a much larger gap of a section of pipe and the seals at each end are larger in diameter. http://www.cashacme.com/pdf_sharkbite/sales/SB%20Fitting%20Sales_4_07.pdf

FYI, they now have prv's and other things with Sharkbite fittings to ease installation. They also have a line of PEX both with and without an oxygen barrier. I didn't realize they'd expanded the line so much. http://www.cashacme.com/sharkbite.php

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks