Relocating Shower Vent

Users who are viewing this thread

RyanW

Reaction score
I am a pretty avid DIY'r and am in need of some expert advice. I have a situation that is new to me and I am at a loss. I am currently remodeling a master bath and enlarging the current shower area by moving 1 wall. Unfortunately this will require relocating the plumbing as the wall that is moving contains the all the plumbing. The drain and supply lines are OK, but my question relates to relocating the 2" vent pipe. Are there any restrictions, code or otherwise, with regard to having angles in the vent pipe? It currently goes straight up through the celing, attic and roof and I have never had a need to move one until now. I need to move it about 18" but would prefer to use the existing hole in the roof. I was thinking of just using a 45 or 90 degree bend in the attic space to move it over. Thanks for your help.

BAPlumber

Plumber
Reaction score
You'll need to re-configure the plumbing under the floor to get the vent up through a differant location. You should be okay in the attic.

FloridaOrange

Plumbing Designer
Reaction score
Just make sure the vent is slightly sloped upward. This helps the sewer gasses rise and any water that can come in your vent through the roof will drain into the sanitary system. Use a 45 if you have the room, otherwise a 90 and slightly sloped upward will do what you want.

RyanW

Reaction score
Great! Thanks for the quick answers. You guys are awesome. :)

RyanW

Reaction score
Since the drain is now about 18-24" from the new vent, would it be more beneficial to locate the trap directly under the drain (like it is now) and run an extension to the new vent or place the trap directly under the new vent and run an extension from the drain to the trap? I hope this makes sense. Thanks for the input.

RyanW

Reaction score
I finally got the vent pipe re-routed. Is it OK to run the ABS pipe up through the roof or does this need to be steel pipe? I have only ever seen steel pipe exposed so I'm not quite sure. Thanks again for your help.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks