Proper Venting 1st Fl Bathroom.

Users who are viewing this thread

spetrucco

DIY Junior Member
Reaction score
Hi,
And thanks in advance this forum is great.
Background:
I am installing a new bathroom on the 1st floor. I already have a 3inch vent to the attic that nothing it tied in to. My waste line is directly below the proposed bathroom location and I have a basement below for adequate room.

Attached are 2 pics one showing my existing horizontal waste line in the basement (the 3 inch vent stubed in the upper left)
The other picture shows my proposed setup.

My questions is will the following work?
I will use a 3x3x1.5 tee at 19inches above the 1st floor for the bathroom sink.
Should I use a 3x3x3 wei or tee for a branch arm to the toilet ?
Off of this arm I will use a 3x3x2 wei for the shower.
To tie the vent to the waste line I will use a 4x4x3 wei.
Does this sound correct. The distance from the toilet to the vent will be about 5ft. I know a coulple feet of wet venting is going to be required.
Thanks
-Shawn

Attachments

• EXISTING.jpg
    EXISTING.jpg
    67.5 KB · Views: 376
  • PROPOSED.jpg
    PROPOSED.jpg
    63.5 KB · Views: 373

Basement_Lurker

One who lurks
Reaction score
Your toilet should be downstream of everything else since you plan to wet vent. The setup you have now will risk siphoning the shower trap every time the toilet is flushed.

You should probably have this built as your main wye/45 off the main line, with a tee directly above it for the toilet arm, and then another tee above it for your shower arm, and then another tee on the next floor for your sink. I'm sure if you were creative you might be able to fit in a vent on that shower branch, but I don't think that it needs it since there is only a lav sink above it.

Leejosepho

DIY scratch-pad engineer
Reaction score
Website
www.nonameyet.org
spetrucco said:
I will use a 3x3x1.5 tee at 19inches above the 1st floor for the bathroom sink.

That sounds fine to me.

spetrucco said:
Should I use a 3x3x3 wei or tee for a branch arm to the toilet?

I would use a wye, and I would place it a little farther down the main line so it will be downstream of the shower drain connection.

spetrucco said:
Off of this arm I will use a 3x3x2 wei for the shower.

I would not do that, and neither would I turn a wye sideways. I would use a couple of 3x3x2 sanitary tees to bring the vent line over under the shower area to loop-vent the toilet and catch the shower discharge.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
dwv_b2.jpg

You can wye off the horizontal, make sure you have vents for each fixture that eventually tye together above the second floor bathroom.
You can't have waste going down from your upstairs bathroom into your vents, it will siphon your traps dry.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks