Type of supply pipe to shower valve.

Users who are viewing this thread

Katman104

Reaction score
Hello,
Is it ok to use CPVC 1/2 inch pipe to input of shower valve and then use copper to shower head and Tub spout?
Thanks
katman104:)

Lancaster

Reaction score
Thats the way it is most often done around here.However,dont use plastic adapters to screw into the valve inlets,use the ones that are CPVC slip by brass IPS.And be sure to use a "drop ear" elbow at the shower arm so that it can be secured with fasteners.
Copper is rarely used for water lines around here because the water is agressive,however for the shower riser and tub spout elbow copper is preferred for its extra rigidity.

Katman104

Reaction score
Lancaster,
Is there a web site that explains what depth to mount shower valves behind the enclosures for proper fit when you put the enclosure in place. I have tried to get Moen to contact me by phone and email but, they have not done so.
Or is this different for every install depending on the enclosure itself? Sure would appreciate any help on this from anyone since the bathroom remodel is to this point. Thanks in advance
Katman104

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
The valves typically come with a plaster guard - a cover to keep things clean and help align the valve prior to installation of the finished wall coverings. Typically, there will be min/max lines on that cover for the depth. The guide also is the template of how big, where, and the shape of the hole that is needed in the wall. This is also usually discussed in the installation manual, which you can often find on their website. this varies and is specific for each company and each valve, so no generalizations are valid for an actual specific installation.

Katman104

Reaction score
jadnashua said:
The valves typically come with a plaster guard - a cover to keep things clean and help align the valve prior to installation of the finished wall coverings. Typically, there will be min/max lines on that cover for the depth. The guide also is the template of how big, where, and the shape of the hole that is needed in the wall. This is also usually discussed in the installation manual, which you can often find on their website. this varies and is specific for each company and each valve, so no generalizations are valid for an actual specific installation.

jadnashua,
The AquaGlass one piece tub and shower unit is 326032A-R unit and the faucet is a Moen 82496BN.
It has a plaster guard that has "thin wall" and a place that says "Thick wall" on it. I am not sure of the distance between the stud wall and the finished side of the enclosure so I do not know what depth to mount the valve between the studs
Thank's for any help you can provide.
katman104

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
You may need to study the shower enclosure drawings. As long as the valve sticks out and the enclosure sits between the thin and thick wall lines, the trim should fit.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks