Advice re:tub removal

Users who are viewing this thread

FatDaddy

Reaction score
I have American Standard PINK tub,sink and toilet (vintage 50's-60's). I plan on re-tiling the bath and was wondering what YOU would do...remove/replace with new white fixtures or find tile that "works" with pink and save money (something that I need to do right now).
Since I am doing the tiling myself I save a bunch and basic white replacements are not going to break the bank...still,every penny counts these days.If I am lucky I can use the old supply,etc and do not need to call a plumber.Not pretty but still functional.
IF I go with replacements,how hard is taking out the old tub? Do I need a special wrench to remove the drain? How does the overflow work and how do I remove that,or,does it jus6t come out with the tub? My guess is that my son and I can muscle out the tub intact without having to break it up.
Thanks in advance.
Alan

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Assuming it is cast iron, you'd be lucky to be able to get it out without some destruction, but it may be possible. The things are heavy, and the space is tight. If you have access from below, you may just want to cut out the drain and replace with new, it would be rare for the trap to align perfectly with a new tub, but it could be close.

To get the tub out, you'll have to demolish at least a portion of the surround, so I'd seriously consider replacing the filler valve and spout. Depending on what's there, it may be possible to rebuild, but sometimes the new trim and cartridges aren't that much less than a whole new thing. Just depends.

It is possible to break the tub up into smaller pieces, making it easier to remove and carry out, but be careful, shards can be sharp - wear protection. You can cut it with a sawsall or a grinder, but that is slow going.

If it's fiberglass, just cut it up.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Personal opinion, a liner is a bandaid. It can last awhile, but nowhere near as long as a new tub. Installation quality can make or break the installation, too. Compare warranty info - what they cover, and how long.

Master Plumber Mark

Sensitivity trainer and plumber of mens souls
Reaction score
indianapolis indiana - land of the free, home of
Website
www.weilhammerplumbing.com
you are gonna muscle out the tub???

Unless you and your son look something
like Conan the Barbarian.....

I suggest that you
break that tub into managable pieces....

Just get a sledje hammer....find some old dirty
carpet that you dont care for anymore....

lay the carpet in the tub and have at it with the sledje hammer.

you do need to wear gloves

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks