tips please on removing poly pipe from barbed fittings?

Users who are viewing this thread

cab

Reaction score
Hello-

I would appreciate it if someone/anyone! could give me some advice on how to best remove polypipe from brass barbed fittings. I need to tighten some of the connections on my pressure tank manifold and must remove the polypipe supply connections to do so....Thanks....

Chris

PEW

DIY Senior Member
Reaction score
Try a little heat. A hair dryer for starters, especially if the pipe is empty. If there is water in the line you may want to use a heat gun, but don't over do it.

Gary Slusser

That's all folks!
Reaction score
Website
www.qualitywaterassociates.com
If you want to tighten a threaded fitting. Loosen the hose clamps and tighten the fitting and reinstall the clamp after rotating it say a 1/4 to 1/2 turn on the pipe.

If there is any water in the pipe, heating isn't going to work. I cut the pipe by slitting it and cutting it off. Then I move the tank that same distance to put things back together or add more pipe with a coupler.

GrumpyPlumber

Licensed Grump
Reaction score
From experience I'll say one thing..never try to cut through the poly lengthwise over the barbed fitting.
I've had brass barbs leak this way, the smallest score on the barb will leak.
Find a way to wedge a flat head between the poly and the barb...then cut, wedge a little more, cut again.

Gary Slusser

That's all folks!
Reaction score
Website
www.qualitywaterassociates.com
Well quit being so heavy handed! Seriously, I've never had the problem. Maybe because I slit it carefully so as to not harm my pocket knife I've carried daily everywhere I go for the last 20 years.

But I can see how a cut ion the barks can cause a leak.

I've slit it off more sch 80 PVC fittings than any other type. Haven't had leaks there either.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks