(206) 949-5683, Top Rated Plumber, Seattle

Thread: tips please on removing poly pipe from barbed fittings?

Default tips please on removing poly pipe from barbed fittings?

Hello-

I would appreciate it if someone/anyone! could give me some advice on how to best remove polypipe from brass barbed fittings. I need to tighten some of the connections on my pressure tank manifold and must remove the polypipe supply connections to do so....Thanks....

Chris

Try a little heat. A hair dryer for starters, especially if the pipe is empty. If there is water in the line you may want to use a heat gun, but don't over do it.

If you want to tighten a threaded fitting. Loosen the hose clamps and tighten the fitting and reinstall the clamp after rotating it say a 1/4 to 1/2 turn on the pipe.

If there is any water in the pipe, heating isn't going to work. I cut the pipe by slitting it and cutting it off. Then I move the tank that same distance to put things back together or add more pipe with a coupler.
    Gary Slusser Retired (= out of business)
    Click Here to learn how to correctly size or program a water softener.
    CAUTION, as of Nov 12 2013 all YouTube videos showing how to rebuild a Clack valve have an error in them that can cause damage.

From experience I'll say one thing..never try to cut through the poly lengthwise over the barbed fitting.
    I've had brass barbs leak this way, the smallest score on the barb will leak.
    Find a way to wedge a flat head between the poly and the barb...then cut, wedge a little more, cut again.
    "The biggest regrets we have in life are the chances we never took."

Well quit being so heavy handed! Seriously, I've never had the problem. Maybe because I slit it carefully so as to not harm my pocket knife I've carried daily everywhere I go for the last 20 years.

But I can see how a cut ion the barks can cause a leak.

I've slit it off more sch 80 PVC fittings than any other type. Haven't had leaks there either.
    Gary Slusser Retired (= out of business)
    Click Here to learn how to correctly size or program a water softener.
    CAUTION, as of Nov 12 2013 all YouTube videos showing how to rebuild a Clack valve have an error in them that can cause damage.