Americast tub any good?

Users who are viewing this thread

Notahandyman

Reaction score
I know I've read something about bathtub materials on the forum, but can't seem to find it now - so, I'll start a new thread.

I am torn between an Acrylic tub & American Standard's, Americast. Since the Americast is steel with enamel coating, will it rust in a couple yrs. time? Also, is the enamel thick enough to stand up well, or is it so thin that you have to be super careful not to chip it? If it's a piece of junk, I don't want to buy it, but I'm really pressed in making a decision, so I've GOT to decide!

The Acrylic one is nice, but has 20 inch height "soaking tub" & since I never use the tub, but just the shower feature, I'm wondering if this is just too high to be practical, especially for one that's getting on in years, like myself. I'm not handicapped in any way, but the aches & pains are there & will likely get worse as I age, so I'm wondering if there might be a time when I won't or can't step that high to get into the shower.

I'm not fond of plastic, after having the fiberglass for 30 years & seeing how hard it is to clean, but it is a pretty tub & maybe the acrylic is a little better quality than the fiberglass?

Thanks for any help,

Notahandyman

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
Being a true fired porcelain, the Americast should outlast any acrylic tub. I believe the opinions expressed on this and other forums is generally favorable about the Americast.

americast-tub-instructions-1.jpg

updated 2/28/2019 by Terry Love

Last edited by a moderator:

Cwhyu2

Consultant
Reaction score
I saw an americast tub 1st time 15 yrs ago and liked it .It was at a plumbers convention.Never put one in though.

Notahandyman

Reaction score
Thank you for your opinions! I think that's what I'm going to go with. I also am very fond of porcelain....just hope it doesn't chip right off the bat!

Notahandyman

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks