Rocking Toilet

Users who are viewing this thread

jockwalker1@mac.com

Reaction score
I am sure this question has been asked a million times. After installing our new toilet, there is slight movement from side to side. I put a small shim on one side to keep it from rocking. Is there a better way to correct the problem? Thanks!

Verdeboy

In the Trades
Reaction score
If the toilet is seated properly on the wax, and the bolts are tightened down, and it still rocks a bit, using a shim is the correct course of action.

The only other thing I can think of is to level your floor better, which is a much bigger project.

I forgot to mention that caulking the base will also help stabilize the toilet.

Last edited:

Cwhyu2

Consultant
Reaction score
Iuse sanded grout where base meets the floor.It will not stick to the floor
or toilet.i have this to many times to count.Keep the shim.it also looks niceif done properly.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
If the toilet rocks after initial setting of the toilet, you should remove it and install a new wax ring. Since the wax doesn't rebound from the rocking, you've likely got a break in the wax seal. You may not notice until there is a backup or if the sewer gas smell is strong, but it is there. Mark where you need the shim, maybe tape it down so it doesn't move, then push the toilet down onto the new wax ring. Since it should no longer rock, the seal will stay intact.

shim_it.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks