Check Valve sticking in hot water recirc

Users who are viewing this thread

dougq

Reaction score
Hi: I have a hot water recirc line with insulation feeding back to the cold input on the h/w tank. Just before the cold connection I have installed a brass flap style check valve in a horizontal position.
The recirc, without pump (convection) works well.
I have had problems with the check valve sticking.
When this happens I get cold showers when the cold short circuits.
Last time, about 6 months ago, I took the valve all apart, the pivot pin, flapper and made sure they were all clean and smooth. Heck of a job to get the pin out!
It has started to stick again as noticed by cold showers.

My water is very pure, rain water that is ozonated, passed through a carbon filter and finally through a whole house R.O.

I know I cant lubricate it, any help appreciated.

Doug Q.

Gary Swart

In the Trades
Reaction score
First, is the valve set level? If it is, then I replace the valve. They're so cheap, you can afford to mess with them.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
From what I read, RO systems create really agressive water and you may have trouble with many metal components. Water is sometimes referred to as the universal solvent - and by removing all the impurities with RO, it really can attack things. That may be why you have trouble with the check valve. My unprofessional opinion.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks