(206) 949-5683, Top Rated Plumber, Seattle
Results 1 to 9 of 9

Thread: How to secure pvc going through a wall?

  1. #1

    Default How to secure pvc going through a wall?

    I installed a new sump pump in my moms house recently. I had to make a hole through the outside wall to run the drain outside as there wasn't an existing hole. It's a split entry home so the block wall isn't very high. I had to go through the sheetrock and out through the siding with the 1.5" pvc drain.

    My question is, how do I secure that pipe somehow? I need a way to clamp it to the wall so it's not able to slide in and out.

    Any suggestions?

    Thanks.

  2. #2

    Default

    I'd use caulking or expandable foam in the 2 holes where the pipe enters and exits the wall.

  3. #3

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Verdeboy
    I'd use caulking or expandable foam in the 2 holes where the pipe enters and exits the wall.
    I need something more rigid. It's in a place where it could easily be bumped and there's no caulk in the world that's going to keep it from sliding. The fact that the check valve is a flexible rubber coupling makes it very easy to move as well.

  4. #4

    Default

    Just had a thought.

    Screw a 2x4 across the studs that are running on either side of the pipe and just touching the bottom side of the pipe. I can then use a single or double sided clamp to hold the pipe.

    Sound logical?

  5. #5
    Commercial Plumber markts30's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Phoenix, AZ
    Posts
    630

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by mckeand13
    The fact that the check valve is a flexible rubber coupling makes it very easy to move as well.
    While you are still messing with the piping...
    Get rid of the rubber check valve - replace it with a hard plastic one...(unless you don't care if your mom's place gets flooded when the check gives out and the sump starts spraying into the basement)
    For anchoring, you can use 2-hole straps and bracing as was suggested.

  6. #6
    Plumbing Designer FloridaOrange's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    SW Florida
    Posts
    1,317

    Default

    Try a suspension pipe clamp....
    PipeClamps

    OK, for some reason the link keeps getting blocked. Do a search for suspension pipe clamps.
    Last edited by FloridaOrange; 08-22-2007 at 05:06 AM.
    Matt
    Semi-professional plumbing designer
    Enjoying life in SW Florida

  7. #7

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by FloridaOrange
    Try a suspension pipe clamp....
    PipeClamps
    Apparently this link isn't working. Can you spell it out or re-link?

  8. #8

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by markts30
    when the check gives out and the sump starts spraying into the basement
    Just wondering what you mean. Are you saying the rubber may crack/split/separate, or that the hose clamp would loosen up?

    Couldn't you say the same about a fernco rubber coupler as well then?

  9. #9
    Plumbing Designer FloridaOrange's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    SW Florida
    Posts
    1,317

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by mckeand13
    Apparently this link isn't working. Can you spell it out or re-link?

    Sent you a PM.
    Matt
    Semi-professional plumbing designer
    Enjoying life in SW Florida

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •