How to secure pvc going through a wall?

Users who are viewing this thread

Mckeand13

Engineer
Reaction score
Website
www.project-one.us
I installed a new sump pump in my moms house recently. I had to make a hole through the outside wall to run the drain outside as there wasn't an existing hole. It's a split entry home so the block wall isn't very high. I had to go through the sheetrock and out through the siding with the 1.5" pvc drain.

My question is, how do I secure that pipe somehow? I need a way to clamp it to the wall so it's not able to slide in and out.

Any suggestions?

Thanks.

Verdeboy

In the Trades
Reaction score
I'd use caulking or expandable foam in the 2 holes where the pipe enters and exits the wall.

Mckeand13

Engineer
Reaction score
Website
www.project-one.us
Verdeboy said:
I'd use caulking or expandable foam in the 2 holes where the pipe enters and exits the wall.

I need something more rigid. It's in a place where it could easily be bumped and there's no caulk in the world that's going to keep it from sliding. The fact that the check valve is a flexible rubber coupling makes it very easy to move as well.

Mckeand13

Engineer
Reaction score
Website
www.project-one.us
Just had a thought.

Screw a 2x4 across the studs that are running on either side of the pipe and just touching the bottom side of the pipe. I can then use a single or double sided clamp to hold the pipe.

Sound logical?

Markts30

Commercial Plumber
Reaction score
mckeand13 said:
The fact that the check valve is a flexible rubber coupling makes it very easy to move as well.

While you are still messing with the piping...
Get rid of the rubber check valve - replace it with a hard plastic one...(unless you don't care if your mom's place gets flooded when the check gives out and the sump starts spraying into the basement)
For anchoring, you can use 2-hole straps and bracing as was suggested.

FloridaOrange

Plumbing Designer
Reaction score
Try a suspension pipe clamp....
PipeClamps

OK, for some reason the link keeps getting blocked. Do a search for suspension pipe clamps.

Last edited:

Mckeand13

Engineer
Reaction score
Website
www.project-one.us
markts30 said:
when the check gives out and the sump starts spraying into the basement

Just wondering what you mean. Are you saying the rubber may crack/split/separate, or that the hose clamp would loosen up?

Couldn't you say the same about a fernco rubber coupler as well then?

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks