(206) 949-5683, Top Rated Plumber, Seattle

Thread: sand in my well water

Default sand in my well water

I am experiencing sand clogging up the screen in my wash machine about every two months. I also noticed a small amount in my toilet tank. What should I do so that nothing gets ruined from this? My house is about 28 years old and I don't know if the well has ever been updated or if that is even needed. Can you help me before something awful happens?

Collect some of it and put it in some vinegar. If it dissolves, it is water hardness scale, if not, then it's sand. If it's hardness scale, you need a water softener. If it's sand, you can filter it after the pressure tank.
    Gary Slusser Retired (= out of business)
    Click Here to learn how to correctly size or program a water softener.
    CAUTION, as of Nov 12 2013 all YouTube videos showing how to rebuild a Clack valve have an error in them that can cause damage.

If I need to put a filter after the pump, is that something that my husband can do or do I need a proffesional? He is a novice.

You don't want anything that can block up between a pump and its controlling pressure switch. So after the pressure tank, the pressure tank doesn't need filtered water. And do the vinegar.

If your husband can do simple plumbing, he can install a filter, or softener.
    Gary Slusser Retired (= out of business)
    Click Here to learn how to correctly size or program a water softener.
    CAUTION, as of Nov 12 2013 all YouTube videos showing how to rebuild a Clack valve have an error in them that can cause damage.