Well pump cuts off after 15 minutes

Users who are viewing this thread

rubyroo

Reaction score
New Water Ace pump, 1 hp, set at 135 feet, static water 45 feet and maintains that level, well providing approx 25 gallons per minute. At initial start up, we turned on spigot and bypassed pressure tank with intent to run well until clear. Pump will only run for 15 minutes and then stops. 15-20 minutes later it automatically starts. Wire size is 12 guage, circuit breaker is 230, 2 pole, 30 amp. Pitless adapter leaks slightly. Why won't it stay on?

rubyroo

Reaction score
more info

when i took off the well cap I lost the 1/2 of the well cap down the well I have 2 torque arestors on the pipe at 75 feet and near the pump and Need more advice before i pull the pump up

Speedbump

Reaction score
I have no idea why it will only run for 15 minutes, but it sounds like it's running out of water. You didn't need the torque arrestors. You said you have a pitless adaptor, then said you lost part of the well cap down the well. Do you mean the well seal? Well caps don't come in two pieces that I am aware of, but well seals have four pieces not counting the sandwiched rubber and bolts.

bob...

Raucina

Reaction score
Check your pump specs, you are probably exceeding the pumps specs causing high amp draw and causing the motor to overheat and cut out. Throttle down the output valve and I'll bet the pump will run forever.

You might have some real problems pulling the pump with a chunk of iron on top the un-needed torque arrestors. I would not pull it until the pump dies. Leave a note on the well for the next guy. Or go fishing with a serious magnet.

rubyroo

Reaction score
well seal and cut out on pump

Sorry I should of said well seal and one of the under side metal pieces fell down the well.
On the other hand this well is putting out a lot of water for 15 min the well is only losing static water down 2 feet to 47 feet why would i need to turn it down when I can use the water? How can I figure out if I am over sized on the pump ? or other problems?
Thanks for the feed back...:confused:

Speedbump

Reaction score
So you had a well seal not a pitless adaptor.

If the water level only drops two feet while the pump is pumping water, there has to be something wrong with the pump or motor. It could also be your underwater splice. Not too many homeowners are proficient at making these splices leak proof.

That half of the bottom of the well seal may be a real problem when it comes time to pull that pump, which may be real soon from what your telling me.

bob...

Raucina

Reaction score
It wont stay on because you are moving too much water causing the motor to overheat. Throttle down the output and see if it keeps running to be sure. You are likely outside the pumps spec's.

rubyroo

Reaction score
more info needed

The pump has 75+ psi at the discharge side of the well and is still putting out about 15 gal a min .....How do you size a pump? Also the splice kit how can I check it before I pull the pump out
Thanks again for all the advice

Raucina

Reaction score
Throttle down the pump to 10 GPM and see if it runs without shut off.

Easy to check the splice with an ohmmeter, $2.99 from our friends in China waiting for our demise: one lead to each cable down the well and one to the ground or well casing- hopefully you will get no response from the meter which means your splices are good.

Call a well guy to do it preferably...

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks