building a shower curb with composite pan

Users who are viewing this thread

dirt diggler

Reaction score
Hello anyone,
First timer here with a couple of questions. i am currently working on a bathroom remodel. i have taken out the tub and all walls and i am on a concrete slab. i am installing hardibacker on the new shower area. i had a composite shower pan poured. the pan was poured into a thin fiberglass form that has sides about 2" high. the pan was installed and i put the hardibacker down to the shower pan (1/2" from the pan). I now have several questions.

1. how should i build the curb? mud or with hardibacker will the mud be ok on the compsite pan?

2. should i have put one of the plastic/rubber liners in before the composite pan was installed ( the shower pan dude said no)

3. how far down should i put the screws in to the hardibacker

*i did install a plastic liner between the studs and the hardibacker.
thanks for your time!
-dirt diggler

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Sounds like a recipe for disaster. Did this come with a special drain? It may work, but in the long term, I don't think you'll be satisfied.

Suggest you try asking this at www.johnbridge.com. This is not one I've dealt with.

It appears that you have studs that you attached the cbu to. That needs a vapor barrier behind it, then the barrier should run down into the shower pan. By code, the waterproof pan must run up 3" above the curb. If your pan is only 2", and it is full of cement, it doesn't meet code.

dirt diggler

Reaction score
composite shower pan

Hey Jim thanks for the reply. i don't think i was clear. The shower "pan" is a cultured marble shower base. This base sits in the fiberglass tray. My CBU does come down over this fiberglass tray to the cultured marble base. However this base has no curb. Should i build a curb with wire lathe and mud or with more of the cement board? i just don't know if the mud curb will adhere to the cultured marble shower base.
thanks.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks