(206) 949-5683, Top Rated Plumber, Seattle

Thread: glass tile

Default glass tile

hi guys! i just finished installing 1"x1" mosaic glass tiles in my bathtub walls. but while i was cleaning the thinset on some of the joints, a few pieces, like 5 pieces, came off. but the rest stuck really good. do i still have to use thinset to put them back? can i use liquid nails?

Retired Defense Industry Engineer jadnashua's Avatar

Thinset...scrape out some of the old stuff (the longer you wait, the harder it gets), back butter the time in question, stick it in, tape it in place until it sets up, and continue. Any change in setting materials is likely to show up through the tile.
    Jim DeBruycker
    Important note - I'm not a pro
    Retired Defense Industry Engineer; Schluter 2.5-day Workshop Completed 2013, 2014

Jim,

Thanks!

Dustin

hi again! i'm still in the process of cleaning the thinset on the grout joints and i'm really having a hard time. also i'm worried that i might accidentally remove more tiles. is it ok if i just leave some of the thinset and just grout the other areas? my grout is the same color as my thinset anyways.

You don't need to get all of it off, just enough so that when you put some on the back of the tile you can get a full coat without causing that tile to stick up above those adjacent to it. Check out www.johnbridge.com with this question for some other insight. Thinset sticks to thinset fine, if that helps.
    Jim DeBruycker
    Retired Defense Industry Engineer; Schluter 2.5-day Workshop Completed 2013, 2014

Jim,

Thanks for that reminder. What do you think about just leaving the thinset in some grout lines and just grout the rest since my grout is the same color as the thinset.

Dustin

The texture and porosity of thinset differs from grout, so even if it is the same color, you may notice. The thinset is much more porous.
    Jim DeBruycker

Thanks again, Jim!