Referrals: replumbing contractors

Users who are viewing this thread

Frenchie

Jack of all trades
Reaction score
master plumber mark said:
does it not have something to do with the
salt air corrodeing the copper over time???

and they have found that cpvc is better for that reason??

It definitely ain't that. The house I'm sitting in was built in 1984, all copper pipes are fine, it's 75 feet from shore. Everything's green on the outside... but no leaks. Hydronic runs, too, not just water supply.

GrumpyPlumber

Licensed Grump
Reaction score
cwhyu2 said:
All juridictions have there codes I can only make suggestions.
Or my personal opinion.

Welcome to whats prolly the most frustrating thing about plumbing chat online, my jaw still drops on occasion at some of the code differences.

inforapeek

Reaction score
GrumpyPlumber said:
I do repipes.

Thanks for the reply, Grumpy. I understand the reasoning why most good plumbers stay with copper, but our well water is just too hard on it. We must not only replace pipes, but constantly replace fixtures, fittings, etc for various reasons and put up with the blue/green stain.

I am in the process of getting several estimates, one by a local master plumber and one by a soup to nuts company. There is appeal to having the repairs done on sight after the repipe, due to the fact that in the area I live it is hard to find people who do remodeling and smaller jobs. I'm curious, though - I know one would have to see my home and study it before estimating, but if I gave you a rough idea of what I needed done could you give a "ballpark" estimate of what the work would run? This would help in evaluating the contractors.

I know replumbing is expensive, but I have no earthly idea what we're even talking about, moneywise.

Two story home with finished 1/2 basement (one toilet/one sink)
The other half is stand up crawlspace (where majority of piping is found ) with water heater.
Upstairs has two bathrooms - each w/combo shower/tub - toilet/sink
Upstairs has washing machine.
Main floor has half bath w/toilet and sink.
Main floor has kitchen doublesink / DW / icecube maker.
Finished basement has half bath w/ toilet and sink.

The water lines connecting the upstairs are found in the ceiling (living room/hallway/kitchen).

There are two outside faucets accessible from the crawlspace.
The older part of the home which needs the repipe is roughly 1800+ sq feet.

Either way, thanks for your time and help.

Frenchie

Jack of all trades
Reaction score
Inforapeak - on every professional construction or trades forum I know of, common wisom is that you can't do these comparisions over the 'net. Even between pro's, it creates more confusion than anything. There's too many variables to make valid analogies. Just how it is.

Toolaholic

General Contractor Carpenter
Reaction score
Wan't a good plumber,that's fair

Find a wholesale plumbing supply in Your area. Don't know one ? ask any guy driving a plumbing truck. Pick up a bag of oranges or some other small gift.

Don't necessarly go to the front office. Go to the parts counter,look for a friendly face. Tell them You need a fair very competent plumber for a repipe.

GET 2 OR 3 NAMES These folks know the tradesman. good luck:)

GrumpyPlumber

Licensed Grump
Reaction score
frenchie said:
Inforapeak - on every professional construction or trades forum I know of, common wisom is that you can't do these comparisions over the 'net. Even between pro's, it creates more confusion than anything. There's too many variables to make valid analogies. Just how it is.

Info, he's right.
Despite the fact that you were thorough in explaination, there are variables that could alter the price by thousands.
What you should do is get the estimates and ask questions.

inforapeek

Reaction score
Okay, thanks so much everyone for responding. I wasn't so much trying to get an estimate specifically for what my job would cost - just trying to prepare myself for what the price range might be. Are we talking $15,000 or more?? What might be the highest it could run?

I like the idea of using PEX, as from what I understand, it is ideal for remodeling jobs - fewer and smaller access openings. But, if there are problems with the fittings, I'll probably just stick with cpvc - it's already in the newer part of our home.

Again, thanks guys!

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks