Referrals: replumbing contractors

Users who are viewing this thread

inforapeek

Reaction score
We need to replace all the pipes in a 21 year old home. We are on well water which is hard, due to the high mineral content. This has caused the copper to corrode and pit. We've repaired about a dozen leaks to date, but the majority have occurred in the past ten years. Our home is two story with a basemant, so it will be a large job.

I need referrals on contractors located in the upstate of SC who are proficient at doing this type of work, hopefully including repair of the openings. I don't know where to begin to look. Also need advice on whether to use cpvc or PEX.

Thanks for any help.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
I had them use pex on my last remodel and I installed about 800' of it in the floor for heat. I like the Uphonor system (used to be called Wirsbo).

inforapeek

Reaction score
Thanks for the replies - but before I determine which product to use for the replumb - I need to find someone to actually do the job (competently). Would any plumbing contractor be able to handle the job? How do I go about finding referrals for this type of work?

I don't believe I would use copper again, simply for what it does to the water and the faucets -turns everything blue. If I install a water softener - will this be easier on the copper (preventing corrosion) and is using a water softenener safe for plastic pipe?

thanks - and forgive the *bump*

FloridaOrange

Plumbing Designer
Reaction score
cwhyu2 said:
Use type L copper.I still dont trust plastic supply for water.
Thats just my opinion.

In this area, copper isn't permitted in residential for the mains. We've been using CPVC for 20 years or more.

RioHyde

Plumber
Reaction score
Get three or four estimates from licensed plumbing contractors in your area. Replumbing a two story house is something most any plumbing contractor can and will do. Given your situation I'd definitely go with PEX and yes you can use a water softener with PEX

Cwhyu2

Consultant
Reaction score
Mach1

I understand we do not use plastic water piping under ground prohhibited by
code.It also not allowed because of ishues in the past .polybutelene.
Powers that be said no to plastic behined walls.After all the court stuff.
Your ground is sandy and can wear on copper .We have to put a service
48" deep as per water code.

Last edited:

inforapeek

Reaction score
RioHyde said:
Get three or four estimates from licensed plumbing contractors in your area. Replumbing a two story house is something most any plumbing contractor can and will do. Given your situation I'd definitely go with PEX and yes you can use a water softener with PEX

Thank you, RioHyde, for responding. I'm hoping to find someone who will keep the damage and mess to a minimal. I've not heard much about the
use of PEX here in the upstate of SC - does it lend itself to replumbing more
than other types of piping?

1) Is it safe to use in ceilings and walls?
2) Can it be used in combination with existing cpvc installed in a newer part of the home?
3) If contractor is not familiar with PEX and insists on cpvc - is this okay?

FloridaOrange

Plumbing Designer
Reaction score
cwhyu2 said:
I understand we do not use plastic water piping under ground prohhibited by
code.It also not allowed because of ishues in the past .polybutelene.
Powers that be said no to plastic behined walls.After all the court stuff.
Your ground is sandy and can wear on copper .We have to put a service
48" deep as per water code.

Interesting. It's not the ground, but they may be a small issue. It's something in the water that pits the copper. It's only in Cape Coral, the next town Fort Myers does not have the same restriction. Pretty much any house with copper over 10 or 15 years is on borrowed time. The copper will start leaking. I've posted this before: http://www.flowguardgold.com/PresentationsAndPublications/copperPitfalls.pdf

I'm in no way argueing with you, just wanted to state that in some areas we've used cpvc with greater success than copper. ;)

FloridaOrange

Plumbing Designer
Reaction score
I don't know that it had to do with the salt in the air. That's not so much an issue as it is on the east coast, I'm on the gulf coast. Salt air corrosion is much worse where they have constant wave action, I've seen the results in beachside bathroom fixtures and such.

The master plumber that taught me said whatever it is tends to start on the inside more often. They've looked into the town's water treatment and compared it to neighboring towns, like I said the town across the river doesn't have the problem to the extent that we have.

And yes, the cpvc has proven to be better. We take pains to protect exposed cpvc, the sun can be brutal here - my 2004 Mustang's headlights are pitting due to sun exposure, and I baby the thing. With the cpvc, we'll have issues with improper glueing and with it being more delicate than copper but we don't have widespread issues of the water forming pinhole leaks (multiple) that cause a ton of damage before they are noticed.

We do use copper, but not for piping inside of the house, my service from the meter until it goes inside is copper, but thats about it beside adapters at the fittings.

That being said, I'd rather have copper if it were an option in my house.....

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Pex is flexible, typically comes on a roll and lends itself to 'home runs', where they use a manifold, then run a pipe to each fixture, although you can treat it sort of like rigid pipe. This way, all of the fittings are at each end and there's less chance of leaks from them, plus, the fittings add more to the cost. It's been used in Europe for a couple of decades, and here for maybe a little over one decade. It is often used in radiant floor heat where it is embedded in the floor. It doesn't like to be open to direct sunlight, is less likely to split if it freezes than most any other piping available, and it is generally faster to install, but looks funky because it is flexible - you won't have nice straight runs.

Dunbar Plumbing

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Northern Kentucky/Greater Cincinnati Area
Website
www.KoldBreeze.com
There is an area in Georgetown Kentucky where condos were built and within months, ate the copper up completely. To this day they cannot use copper in that area and testing of the water has proven useless.

Now, if you got that kind of problem with your copper, whether FLA or KY, you really think it is safe to be exposed to that sort of thing?

When piping products fail....there is a source to that problem. The pipe....or what runs through it will be the two issues to contend with. With copper having a 80+year life in my area and continuing down to FLA in certain parts to a 15-20 year life....and then as low as months in some areas like georgetown kentucky....that's a geographical/region issue relating to what is running through it or what is connected to it....not the core product itself.

I'm starting to think that the water municipalities are cutting corners on their water treatment, focusing the problem down to the property owners instead of spending the big bucks to get it straightened out before it leaves the plant. :mad:

FloridaOrange

Plumbing Designer
Reaction score
RUGGED said:
Now, if you got that kind of problem with your copper, whether FLA or KY, you really think it is safe to be exposed to that sort of thing?

Bottled water as far as we can, we filter at the sink. Still gotta shower in it, don't think the wife or coworkers would be happy if I didn't. :eek:

Old Dog

G.C. 22+ years(in 3 states)
Reaction score
Replumbing...

inforapeek said:
Thanks for the replies - but before I determine which product to use for the replumb - I need to find someone to actually do the job (competently). Would any plumbing contractor be able to handle the job? How do I go about finding referrals for this type...

You want a plumbing contractor who has done remodeling projects before.There is a big difference between new construction and replumbing.Not in the work but in the time it takes to get it done.As I've mentioned before I have worked with plumbers who were great in new construction but got in trouble in remodeling projects.(didn't bid accordingly,lost money because job took alot longer.)
Talk with some of the local remodeling contractors.They should have some names of plumbing contractors they have had success with...

inforapeek

Reaction score
Thanks again for the replies, jadnashua and old dog. The problem is finding a licensed plumbing contractor who has done this type of work before. I agree that replacing pipe is far more time, trouble, and expense than doing it in new construction where everything is open. Here lies the problem.

We don't have a plethora of remodeling contractors in my area...so I don't know where to start. Many contractors prefer doing the large jobs in new construcion and they're often too busy to take on a remodel.

Since researching PEX, I have stumbled across the incidence of Legionella bacteria forming in water which may become stagnate, particularly at 92-122 degrees Fahrenheit. Is this something to be really concerned about? I have a large home with great lengths of pipe in between each faucet.

Is PEX any more likely than cpvc or copper to be affected by this concern?

thanks again for bearing with me and all my questions

inforapeek

Reaction score
Has anyone had dealings with Delta Mechanical, a nationwide, nonfranchised company which specializes in whole house replumbing? They are a turnkey operation (repair damage to walls, etc). I imagine they are more costly than using a local contractor, but curious if anyone has any thoughts or info on the advantages of using this company.

-thanks so much

GrumpyPlumber

Licensed Grump
Reaction score
inforapeek said:
Has anyone had dealings with Delta Mechanical, a nationwide, nonfranchised company which specializes in whole house replumbing? They are a turnkey operation (repair damage to walls, etc). I imagine they are more costly than using a local contractor, but curious if anyone has any thoughts or info on the advantages of using this company.

-thanks so much

I do repipes.
I won't use PEX until I see longterm proof that there's a mechanical means to connect that holds over time.
I've used CPVC (RUGGED's gonna blow a gasket), ONLY because it's been in use for over 40 years - trouble free and doesn't rot or corrode as copper does, also runs more quietly (less hissing when faucets are on), no water hammer (it's more flexible than copper so it absorbs vibration).
I would suggest you go with a local, smaller shop.
My reasoning is larger companies tend to have much less control over those that work for them, the prices tend to be higher to cover their overhead and, most importantly, larger shops have answering services that often forward messages till the next morning.

Cwhyu2

Consultant
Reaction score
As you know Iam not familer with pex ,used cpvc but still dont like it.
I still think copper is still the way to go.

GrumpyPlumber

Licensed Grump
Reaction score
cwhyu2 said:
As you know Iam not familer with pex ,used cpvc but still dont like it.
I still think copper is still the way to go.

Right, but an area I used to work in had seriously high manganese content in the water table, some home owners had to repipe as frequently as ten years apart.
Manganese is not a good thing with copper.
The shop I worked for at the time finally decided to try it, stilll uses it now.
First time I ever saw the stuff I immediately said "This is rediculous, I wouldn't put this in a kids tree-house."
I go with copper usually, but I have yet to hear of any serious problems with cpvc.
Also, it's less expensive, more and more new construction shops are using it or PEX for lack of options in the price game.
I won't use PEX for potable...there's already word that some of the crimp type connections are failing.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks