lawn pump problems

Users who are viewing this thread

george3405

Reaction score
Hi,
I have an A.O. Smith 1 1/2 hp sprinkler well pump. It had quit working and I set it aside, but lately I turned it over put a start capacitor from another like motor in it and away it went and pumped water great. Then all of a sudden it quit. Found out one of the wires to the start capacitor got in the way of the motor shaft and was cut in two. I fixed that, but when I restarted the motor it went POW and smoked, but tried to run. After that, even with the original start capacitor in it it would pop loudly and smoke out the bottom near the start capacitor, but run. I've checked the start cap. and it checks ok with an ohmmeter. Any other ideas. Could I have mistakenly hooked up one of the three wires to the wrong terminal and caused this or is the start cap. defective or? Thanks for your time and help.
George

Speedbump

Reaction score
Usually when you see smoke, it's toast. And if you let the smoke out of a motor, you cannot put it back in.

You may have hooked up a wrong wire somewhere That could be detrimental to the motors health also. If all the wires are not in the right place you have some major arguments going on between the start and run windings. One wanting the motor to run at about half speed and the other wanting to take off at full speed ahead, then the cap goes pow, start winding is usually next then smoke will follow.

bob...

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks