(206) 949-5683, Top Rated Plumber, Seattle

Thread: Is this vent to small

Default Is this vent to small

Single story home with room additon on side of house.

Called out to clear a persistent drain problem. The issue is with a 6 year old room addition with bath that has never drained properly. The sink is located in the west/north corner. The shower is located on the north/east corner. The toilet is on the east wall. The only vent is a 2 inch located between the sink and shower approx 7 feet from the toilet. Is this enough vent?

I'm going to camera/locate the line tomorrow after cleaning the drain via the closet. This is a corner house and I'm not sure if the main runs out the front of the house or to the side. My guess is that the drain does not meet slope. That combined with poor venting is causing very poor draining.

Your thoughts and things to look for would be appreciated.

what exactly is the drainage problem? when does it happen? what fixtures are affected? if the toilet is vented and connected to the existing 2" vent that should be enough, at least in my area.
    Brent

DIY scratch-pad engineer leejosepho's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by JeffH
    The only vent is a 2 inch located between the sink and shower approx 7 feet from the toilet. Is this enough vent?
    Yes, but that does not mean everything is configured properly.

Default Symptoms

Running either faucet or shower causes toilet to start burping, then overflow. Plungering toilet will cause shower to rise. The problem is local to this room addition, as the rest of the house is okay.

Sounds as though you may have a stoppage in the drain and or vent.

Default I know they have a stoppage...

Quote Originally Posted by cwhyu2
    Sounds as though you may have a stoppage in the drain and or vent.
    I was hoping to get possibilities as to why. Like I stated, it's prob a matter of slope, because it's been a persistent problem for many years.

Without looking at your system there amost to many to list but here are
    some off the top my head.
    1 broken under ground
    2 roots
    3 improper connection
    Now the thing is do you want have the system augered &camered.
    That is the way I would go.
    Only suggestions.
    Sounds you allraedy know what to do
    Last edited by cwhyu2; 08-19-2007 at 10:11 AM.

Default After camera

What a mess! I wish I had pictures for you folks.
    Anyway, I removed the toilet, filled the closet up with H2O and snaked. I hit whatever was clogging at about 6 feet and the standing water drained. I ran my snake out another 15 feet or so for good measure.

I then ran my camera, with the lav sink running a bit just to put some water in the line. The drain system filled with water quickly. Also at the 6 feet mark the camera ran into a sharp bend (abs to iron) that my camera would not navigate (mini seesnake). I blasted the system with water from the toilet supply (full blast) to clear the line and added toilet paper to the mix. Guess what? That's right the tp just kinda sat there. I had to put an extender on the supply line, and use it as a mini jetter to push the tp past that nasty bend.

I was able to locate the line at approx 1 foot from the outside wall and about 18 inches deep. Digging starts on thursday. Thanks for all the input! You folks are great