Glass tile

Users who are viewing this thread

DDE

Reaction score
hi guys! i just finished installing 1"x1" mosaic glass tiles in my bathtub walls. but while i was cleaning the thinset on some of the joints, a few pieces, like 5 pieces, came off. but the rest stuck really good. do i still have to use thinset to put them back? can i use liquid nails?

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Thinset...scrape out some of the old stuff (the longer you wait, the harder it gets), back butter the time in question, stick it in, tape it in place until it sets up, and continue. Any change in setting materials is likely to show up through the tile.

DDE

Reaction score
hi again! i'm still in the process of cleaning the thinset on the grout joints and i'm really having a hard time. also i'm worried that i might accidentally remove more tiles. is it ok if i just leave some of the thinset and just grout the other areas? my grout is the same color as my thinset anyways.

Jadnashua

Reaction score
You don't need to get all of it off, just enough so that when you put some on the back of the tile you can get a full coat without causing that tile to stick up above those adjacent to it. Check out www.johnbridge.com with this question for some other insight. Thinset sticks to thinset fine, if that helps.

DDE

Reaction score
Jim,

Thanks for that reminder. What do you think about just leaving the thinset in some grout lines and just grout the rest since my grout is the same color as the thinset.

Dustin

Jadnashua

Reaction score
The texture and porosity of thinset differs from grout, so even if it is the same color, you may notice. The thinset is much more porous.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks