Wire Size / Fixture Attachment

Users who are viewing this thread

OscarG

Reaction score
I have installed 10 ceiling boxes in a workshop area and intend to put simple porcelain sockets on them to provide general overall lighting. Circuit wired with 12/2 NM between boxes, circuit protected at 20A. Plan to use 150W equivalent CF bulbs so no issue with heat.

Installing the porcelain sockets I had intended to use stranded 16 THHN for pigtails on each to reduce the stress on the socket connections and actually fit the wire under the attachment screw.

Just want to confirm that this use of reduced size wire for fixture attachment is OK. (I have seen plastic sockets with crimped on 18 pigtails.)

JWelectric

Electrical Contractor/Instructor
Reaction score
OscarG said:
I have installed 10 ceiling boxes in a workshop area and intend to put simple porcelain sockets on them to provide general overall lighting. Circuit wired with 12/2 NM between boxes, circuit protected at 20A. Plan to use 150W equivalent CF bulbs so no issue with heat.

Installing the porcelain sockets I had intended to use stranded 16 THHN for pigtails on each to reduce the stress on the socket connections and actually fit the wire under the attachment screw.

Just want to confirm that this use of reduced size wire for fixture attachment is OK. (I have seen plastic sockets with crimped on 18 pigtails.)

The size of the Overcurrent Device will mandate the size of the pigtail.

Here you are using 20 amp Overcurrent so the pig tail MUST be #12.

Speedy Petey

Licensed Electrical Contractor
Reaction score
Mike,

I have to disagree with you. Fixture taps follow different rules. I really do feel 402.10 applies here:

402.10 Uses Permitted
Fixture wires shall be permitted (1) for installation in luminaires (lighting fixtures) and in similar equipment where enclosed or protected and not subject to bending or twisting in use, or (2) for connecting luminaires (lighting fixtures) to the branch-circuit conductors supplying the luminaires (fixtures).

Handbook commentary:
Fixture wire is permitted to be used as a tap conductor to connect a luminaire(s) to the branch circuit conductors. There must be a transition from the branch circuit wiring method to the fixture wire tap conductors. This can be done in a junction box or other fitting that is allowed to contain splices.

I mean think about it. Some Leviton keyless fixtures come with #18 tails as opposed to screws.

JWelectric

Electrical Contractor/Instructor
Reaction score
Pete

For years I though that the fixture could be wired based on the fixture load until I got set straight by one of the code panels at an IAEI meeting.

The simple rule is: if we are installing the conductors we must stay with the same size or larger but never smaller. It is okay for the fixture manufacturer to use smaller conductors as when the fixture is changed the conductors will be changed also.

Speedy Petey

Reaction score
jwelectric said:
The simple rule is: if we are installing the conductors we must stay with the same size or larger but never smaller. It is okay for the fixture manufacturer to use smaller conductors as when the fixture is changed the conductors will be changed also.
I hate to admit it, but I DO understand that logic.

Seaneys

Reaction score
I completely understand the logic, but...

The pig tails on the ballasts from our local big box home store are 16 ga. There is not a way to change them w/o destroying the ballast. I've been scratching my head on this one for a few weeks.

Steve

Speedy Petey

Reaction score
The point is the ballast is factory assembled. You CANNOT change the wire.
IF the ballast had screw terminals you would have to use the branch circuit wire size to those terminals.

Molo

Reaction score
seaneys said:
I completely understand the logic, but...

The pig tails on the ballasts from our local big box home store are 16 ga. There is not a way to change them w/o destroying the ballast. I've been scratching my head on this one for a few weeks.

Steve
i see this too, doesn't it make it dangerous?

OscarG

Reaction score
Thanks for all the wisdom!

Although my initial feeling was in agreement with Speedy Petey, that 402.10 was the applicable code, I now also see the logic differentiating factory assembled fixture wire from field wiring to a screw terminal. Looks like I go with the 12 ga pigtails to the sockets.

As a personal aside (rant), it seems to be kind of a shame that code needs to be interpreted on the side of idiot proofing the work. In theory, anyone inside of a box should have enough knowledge to know that a pigtail is used to facilitate a connection to a fixture and is not intended as the means to connect a further extension of a branch circuit.

HammerSlammer

Reaction score
In theory, anyone inside of a box should have enough knowledge to know that a pigtail is used to facilitate a connection to a fixture and is not intended as the means to connect a further extension of a branch circuit.

You would think but just the other day i ran into about 20 fixtures that were daisy chained with 18 guage whips. (or a mix of 18 guage and 12 guage whips because the fixture comes with the 18 ga.) Done by a licensed outfit and supposedly inspected... The whips of course are allowed to service one fixture... My boss doesn't let us daisy chain anything.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks