Silicon in Wire Nuts

Users who are viewing this thread

Seaneys

Reaction score
Does anyone squirt silicon in wire nuts in damp locations (basements, etc)? I've heard of it, but have never actually done it. Is it worth it for a location that is never intended to get wet?

Thanks,
Steve

snafflekid

Electrical Engineer
Reaction score
seaneys said:
Does anyone squirt silicon in wire nuts in damp locations (basements, etc)? I've heard of it, but have never actually done it. Is it worth it for a location that is never intended to get wet?

Thanks,
Steve

Wait, do you mean silicone caulk? I don't know of a specific rule against it, but I would say it is a very bad idea. Wire nuts are flame retardant (don't think silicone is) and you are going to have a hard time actually making a watertight seal. "Damp" is not the same thing as "exposed to wetness" in which case you need to use moistureproof boxes.

JWelectric

Electrical Contractor/Instructor
Reaction score
seaneys said:

Thanks,
Steve

Silicon can not be used on conductors period!!!!

HandyAndy

General Contractor, Farmer
Reaction score

Bob NH

In the Trades
Reaction score
SILICON is a nonmetallic element that is used in manufacturing electrical components. It is also a common element is compounds such as glasss and sand.

SILICONE is a class of organic compounds that include the element SILICON.

JWelectric

Electrical Contractor/Instructor
Reaction score
110.11 Deteriorating Agents.
Unless identified for use in the operating environment, no conductors or equipment shall be located in damp or wet locations; where exposed to gases, fumes, vapors, liquids, or other agents that have a deteriorating effect on the conductors or equipment; or where exposed to excessive temperatures.

FPN No. 1: See 300.6 for protection against corrosion.

FPN No. 2: Some cleaning and lubricating compounds can cause severe deterioration of many plastic materials used for insulating and structural applications in equipment.

Some of the off the shelf silicon agents will damage the insulation of some types of conductors.

If silicon is going to be used on electrical conductors or equipment it needs to be listed and labeled for the prupose.

Bob NH

In the Trades
Reaction score
I wasn't criticizing the spelling.

Lot's of people confuse silicon and silicone.

It's like concrete and cement. Many people look at concrete and call it cement.

Cement + aggregate + water --> concrete.

Silicon + various other elements --> Silicones

snafflekid

Electrical Engineer
Reaction score
seaneys said:

Thanks,
Steve

Okay, I bet you are referring to silicone grease. This stuff is okay to use and is often found in automobile wire harness connectors, where moisture is a problem. I was thinking bathtub caulk heheh

R

Rancher

We used Silicone in manufacturing back in the 70's to keep CRT monitors in the computer industry from arcing from the high voltage section to the outside case. It was GE's RTV stuff. However that said I wouldn't add any thing to a wire nut, it either should be in a dry enough location not to need anything else or it should have the proper weather proof enclosure to protect the connection.

Rancher

Seaneys

Reaction score
Thanks a lot for the clarification. I thought something seemed 'strange' when I noticed this in more than one trusted reference. I held off since it seemed overkill. Our basement is humid, but not THAT humid that I would call it damp.

Steve

Livin4Real

Reaction score
May have been mentioned but if your worried about it you can use dielectric grease on the nuts (wire of course, not your own, unless your into that :p )
Also referred to as marine grease (what they use on lights on boat trailers, etc.) And if your basement is that damp you should have a dehumidifier.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks