How to make light switch/outlet connection.

Users who are viewing this thread

Bjferri

DoD Army
Reaction score
Can someone please assist me?

This is what I have so far…I have the source (20 amp) coming into the switch box. I have the light fixture box wire coming into the switch box. I have the outlet box wire coming into the switch box.

My light switch is just a single pole.

Please tell me if I’m correct with these connections.

From the source in the switch box, all this takes place: I have to pigtail the black wire to the light switch and to the black outlet wire. From the source I have to pig tail the white wire to the light fixture wire and to the outlet wire. From the source I have to pigtail the ground to the light switch, the light fixture wire, and the outlet. Lastly I have to connect the black light wire to the light switch.

Thank you!

Frenchie

Jack of all trades
Reaction score
Yup, that's right.

A little less confusingly:

All the grounds together

All the whites together

Source black to receptacle black & pigtail

Pigtail to one pole of the switch

Light fixture black to the other pole of the switch.

BTW, "pigtail" means a short length of wire, not just any & all wirenut connections.

Frenchie

Jack of all trades
Reaction score
Mike - Warrior got confused, so I thought I'd clear thing up with the tagline. You think I'm a woman? I'd be a pretty ugly woman... although I don't think I'm doing too bad for a 40-year-old guy.

Attachments

• IMG_1726.jpg
    IMG_1726.jpg
    51.7 KB · Views: 1,128
Last edited:

Frenchie

Jack of all trades
Reaction score
Really? My feminist older sister would take that as a compliment to her influence on me, growing up...

You mean sounded like, right? ;)

BTW, you got me in trouble with my wife for posting her pic w/o asking first.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks